[1.1.2624] Detoxifier stomach does not stop food poisoning when installed

Started by threephi, May 06, 2020, 11:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threephi

I wanted to test this so I waited until a pawn caught food poisoning before installing a detoxifier stomach.  I expected the new organ to start doing its job immediately, but the food poisoning is running its course.  Food poisoning is quite an undesirable malady so this should be a plausible tactic to prevent losing a pawn's productivity in a crunch.

Should be very easy to reproduce.

Cheers as always :)

Canute

Hi,
maybe you read/interpret the description wrong.
The stomach prevent food poisioning but don't cure it since the bad food allready left the stomach and enter other parts of your body if the pawn encounter a food poisoning.

threephi

No I read the description and understood it. 
QuoteAn artificial stomach replacement with a broad-spectrum toxin filter and neutralization system.  It allows the user to eat almost anything without ever worrying about food poisoning.
To me, it being described as both a toxin filter and a neutralization system means it should both prevent and cure.  If you want to get super technical about it, in the initial phases of food poisoning the offending matter can still be in the stomach.  And as food poisoning is essentially a viral or bacterial infection, one could interpret the "neutralization" function to be the production and release of enzymes, vaccines, antibiotics to fight the infection.  Between you and me I've filled my quota for pointless semantic squabbles for a while so let's not go down that road ;)

IMO what's written isn't as important as having the object fulfill its intended purpose in an intuitive way.  You make and install detox stomachs to keep your pawns from suffering the debility from food poisoning, or to put it another way, not ever worry about food poisoning.  Intuitively, I would expect if you put one in, your pawn should get better.

ison

It's a pretty narrow edge case, though perhaps we should address it. Added to todo, thanks.