[1.1.2610] Pawns going berserk will do nothing when holding a ranged weapon

Started by whew-inc, April 21, 2020, 06:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whew-inc

I've noticed one of my pawns just walking around while they were berserk. Wouldn't attack anyone, unless someones within melee range. Otherwise they just wander around and sometimes look for targets, seemingly holding their gun and switching quickly between holding nothing and the gun.
Decided to test around in dev mode and found out pawns berserk like they should when holding a melee weapon/nothing.

This is without any mods. I first disabled a bunch, test, disable more etc until I ran out of mods :L
I disabled Steam cloud sync, reinstalled the game and deleted /home/whew-inc/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/ multiple times to make sure it's not a weird config bug or something.

https://mega.nz/file/juByACyB#fvvUxmNvc_GckVOW7GFTJ7gLyEFml6Zoh2XdpV_0oK8
In the link is a save in which the view is centered on a pawn that's berserk and holding a SMG. I didn't directly force the mental breakdown through dev.

This is also the only mental breakdown that has this issue. All the others work normally.

Tested on KDE neon 5.18, Ubuntu 19.10, Windows 10

whew-inc

Did a fresh install of KDE Neon User edition on my laptop. Installed Rimworld, booted up (no settings or mods, only my saves carried over), started a new save.

Using dev mode I made a colonist birth like 20 or so new colonists. Gave them all miniguns, and then just let them do their thing.
A colonist went berserk, and the issue is there again. Just walks around, doing nothing and sometimes watches for target.

Can someone confirm this on Linux?

Edit: noticed that when the pawn is looking for targets (i just realized there's no view in vanilla for this, but in my modded save that's what the status said when a pawn was holding their gun while berserk) they actually were targeting one of my pawns with their minigun, but stopped shortly before the warmup was finished. First time it happened and only time too.

Edit 2: Did the same thing again but on Ubuntu 19.10. Same issue.
Edit 3: 1.1.2610 is the version being tested

Canute

I think they changed the berserk behavior a few releases ago.
They don't attack anymore anything at sight.
And at the same they add the murderous rage state.
But the berserk still count as enemy and any pawn with attack stance would attack him.

And i don't think there is a difference between linux or other OS, since that is at the Core files with are the same for all OS.

whew-inc

Quote from: Canute on April 23, 2020, 02:28:31 AM
I think they changed the berserk behavior a few releases ago.
They don't attack anymore anything at sight.
And at the same they add the murderous rage state.
But the berserk still count as enemy and any pawn with attack stance would attack him.

And i don't think there is a difference between Linux or other OS, since that is at the Core files with are the same for all OS.

You're right, finally got Windows installed and the OS seems to be no exception.
However, I do think this is actually a bug. Berserk pawns chase others as long as they don't hold a ranged weapon. Otherwise they just wander around.

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Mental_break#Berserk
This behavior works correctly when a pawn does not hold a ranged weapon.
What doesn't work, specifically:
They will melee attack the nearest living creature until their target is either subdued or killed.
Pawns holding a ranged weapon will not look for the nearest creature, and instead will only melee attack when a creature is in melee range.