Improved surgery success rate if hunger is low

Started by Liwet, May 10, 2020, 03:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liwet

You fast before a major surgery to avoid complications right?  So a colonist who has low hunger going into a surgery gets a reduction in the chance of something bad happening or an improvement on the success of the surgery.

zgrssd

I was not even aware that was a thing (too long since I had a full anastehthic). And as I read it, it would actually be a requirement to avoid the patient emiting vomit in addition to (potentially) blood:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/operations-tests-and-procedures/can-i-eat-or-drink-before-an-operation/

"Usually, before having a general anaesthetic, you will not be allowed anything to eat or drink. This is because when the anaesthetic is used, your body's reflexes are temporarily stopped.

If your stomach has food and drink in it, there's a risk of vomiting or bringing up food into your throat. If this happens, the food could get into your lungs and affect your breathing, as well as causing damage to your lungs.

The amount of time you have to go without food or drink (fast) before you have your operation will depend on the type of operation you're having. However, it is usually at least 6 hours for food, and 2 hours for fluids. You'll be told how long you must not eat or drink for before your operation.

Chewing gum, including nicotine gum, should be avoided during this fasting period.

You may be told to avoid certain types of fluids, such as milk, or tea and coffee with milk added to them, before an operation. If you vomit after having these drinks, the liquid could get into your lungs and damage them. Clear fluids, such as water, are usually recommended.

Infants can be given breast milk up to 4 hours before an operation. After that time only clear fluids should be given."

There are two obvious reasons this could be left out of the game:
* the game engine has limits (rather hard time smiulating a vomiting patient mid operation) and realism is not that important, so it might be simply left out of the game.
* when genetically engineering that Heal Root, they intentionally left out the negative impact on the stomach. So there literally is no anasthethic with that sideffect anymore, even for tribals.