[1.1.2624] Untrainable starting bonded animal is possible

Started by BorisZ, May 20, 2020, 11:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BorisZ

1. It seems logical, that at the start of the game (Lost tribe scenario) player gets animals, that can be handled (trained) by his colonists. It seems that this is actually implemented, because when starting with all 5 tribesmen having 0-1 animal skills, they get animals that can be handled with that skill, such as donkeys or yorkshire terriers, who need 0 minimal animals skill to handle.
2. If one of the starting colonists has high animal skill, but is unable to handle (Vengeful hunter backstory, for example), starting animals can be given based on that high skill.
In my savegame this is Knight colonist, who only has high enough animal skill to (theoretically) handle fennec fox Grits, but Knight is incapable of handling, so no one can train Grits from the start. And having bonded animal, that is going to start lose training and tameness and go wild (unless something special is done/happened) seems like an exception from logic explained in previous paragraph. Doesn't look reasonable too - because why is that animal (too wild for our people to handle) tame, trained and bonded in the first place?
3. I expected that animals skill of the colonist, who is incapable of handling, is not considered when generating starting animals.
4. To reproduce:
-start a game with Lost tribe scenario.
-any world, storyteller, starting tile.
-randomize 4 of 5 starting colonists to have 0 or 1 animal skill.
-randomize fifth starting colonist to be incapable of handling, but having animals skill, and having that skill higher, then other colonists. Mine had 7 in animals.
-start a game and check out your starting animals. Most likely, there will be animals that need high skill level to handle. And only incapable of training colonist has that skill level.
5. Savegame: https://www101.zippyshare.com/v/Ikrw7xSd/file.html

Canute

You can reroll your starting pawn infinity times. Noone prevent you use this to get a pawn with passion and some skill points into animal handling.
And the starting scenario's arn't fixed, you can freely edit them, instead some random animals you can name the animals you want.
And don't forget animals are running meat bag's, you still can slaughter and butcher them. Noone force you to train them.

And when you decide to completly play random based, like when plane crash on a lonely island and with some pet's at the cargo hold, then you should await some combination that arn't useful.

BorisZ

I know, that I can reroll starting pawns to get what I want. And make my custom start too.
The point here is that starting conditions of built-in scenarios are not a complete mess (at least, regarding bonded animals). If I start with all noobs tribe with 0-1 in animals, I get animals that I can handle, so the game does perform a skill check on creating animals and gives something like donkeys, that require 0 animals skill to handle. The problem is that game code does not check, if that skill in animals is applicable to handling or not (incapable of handling, but still has animals skill). As for Tribal start, that looks reasonable - if that microtribe traveled to their new home with animals - at least some of tribespeople should be able to handle those animals.

>And don't forget animals are running meat bag's, you still can slaughter and butcher them. Noone force you to train them.

This is not true for bonded animals. The fact that animal is bonded was the first reason for reporting this as bug.
Some random pet from cargo hold on plane crash you mentioned - that is absolutely OK, but that random pet has 0 reasons to be bonded with random people.

Really looks like a bug.