2-sided walls (mod idea)

Started by ProfZelonka, May 20, 2020, 03:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfZelonka

A home with wood walls on the inside, stone blocks on the outside. (for example) Same square space.

This could be done possibly by the same way that decorative floor tiles work - they act as a top layer above the floor tile. Maybe it's possible to take a wall and add a second wall on top of it. In the example above of a wooden wall and stone block wall, the wooden would burn but roof would not collapse as the stone wall would remain.

Why a mod for 2-sided walls?
Visual mostly - have rooms only have internal style of wall texture/material-type, have sterile walls in a medic room without the sterile walls seen on the outside. Of course the mechanical would be that you can protect wooden rooms from outdoor fires.

ProfZelonka

To add to the idea: Doors shouldn't be in the middle of a tile like they are. You don't see half a floor tile outside of a room. Doors should be closer to the end of the block and rotatable!  :) :D This way, along with the 2-sided walls, we'll actually have rooms that look like rooms.

mrofa

How would you determine which side is the room you want that wall side ?
All i do is clutter all around.

ProfZelonka

Good question. It could be rotatable, or.. It could be a set of standalone action tools located in the structures menu with all the walls - you'd select which side, then select the wall/material, then apply it to the map. I'm not a coder, the visual aspect just really bugs me.. Can't imagine any structure with the exact same exterior as the interior, or a door with a huge indent on the inside and outside of the structure, or an interior floor tile visible halfway on the outside. lol

Plus this way we could have more of "wallpaper" options finally, rather than just stone/industrial walls for everything.

Canute

An in/outdoor detection, but the wall would either 3 segment or just 1 segment wall when both rooms are out or indoor.
But beside a beauty bonus you won't get any benifit. A better isolation against temperature you can't await, that would require an overhaul of the hardcoded system.

Btw. if you seek just decorative walls, Glass&Light got window walls with 4 beauty.
Side effect of these windows they let light through, room are less dark.

Kijin race give a tilled wall, the beauty depend on the material marbe 2,jade 12.

Settlerking

I swear to god i've seen a wallpaper mod on the workshop. I didn't use it so it might not be what your looking for but it really feels like ive seen something like it already.

ProfZelonka

Not that I can find right now, or noticed before? And I patrol the recent list practically daily. haha