I have a Windows PC and a MacBook - Possible to play same save on both?

Started by pants, May 24, 2020, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pants

As the title says, I have a Windows PC and a MacBook Air. Steam works fine on both and so does Steam Cloud for the save games, but on Windows the saved game cannot be loaded once it has been saved on macOS.

Is there a reason for this limitation? And is there a way to get around this limitation or potentially solve it?

Belgrath

Hello pants.

I don't know if the game saves differently for the 2 OS's.
I don't know what file system MacOS is using but it could be the how the permission is writen on the disk.
But try turning off steam cloud and try moving you save location to a cloud storage like Dropbox.
I'm only suggesting this as that's how I have it setup for my Windows 10 and Linux Mint setups. I dual boot both my desktop and laptop and I can play the same save on both.
You can change the save location in steam by going to Properties and clicking on 'Set Launch Options' by adding
-savedatafolder="New Save Location" like mine is -savedatafolder="C:\My Documents\Dropbox\RimWorld"
This also could open another can of worms and not help you out.
I love testing things and watching them break   :P
Sure I'll test it for you!
"Are you a Wizard^^ Belgrath?"
"maybe..."

pants

Can confirm it works fine between Windows 10 and Manjaro Linux, seems to just be MacOS at the moment. I'll try the Dropbox trick with my Google Drive.