Long-winded Rant/Critique

Started by TrashMan, May 25, 2020, 05:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeMartiniLaunch

Quote from: TrashMan on May 25, 2020, 05:07:46 AM
- catastrophic surgery failures. Operate on a leg, end up cutting someones eye out. Unpredictable, as it defies common sense, and also forced drama/loss. How can anyone defend this is beyond me.

I recently underwent a routine abdominal surgery and suffered permanent eye damage due to....catastrophic failure? Doctor negligence?

Who know? But here we are.

Sidestrafe2462

Quote from: ThreeMartiniLaunch on June 16, 2020, 12:27:21 PM
Quote from: TrashMan on May 25, 2020, 05:07:46 AM
- catastrophic surgery failures. Operate on a leg, end up cutting someones eye out. Unpredictable, as it defies common sense, and also forced drama/loss. How can anyone defend this is beyond me.

I recently underwent a routine abdominal surgery and suffered permanent eye damage due to....catastrophic failure? Doctor negligence?

Who know? But here we are.

I imagine some casual RimMD doctor throwing their scalpel around in rage because they got bored or tired.
This is why putting peg legs on people train your doctoring skills- Rimworld medicine can be easily learned from RimMD, but you have to train for the values of patience, indifference, and zen during procedures. Vitals monitors help because they give easy hands-free access to RimMD and make the doctor/patient feel like something's happening.

No, no, that doesn't make sense. What do?

hechicera

I think there is a fundamental story-telling issue here. Let's just take the story generator goal at face value.

Yes, you want the odd thing to happen. It makes life interesting. BUT, when the odd thing is what almost always happens it becomes predictable in exactly the same way the mundane is predictable. That isn't good storytelling. That is over using your gag, hook, joke, scare so often that it looses value and becomes boring.

So Rimworld's odd events aren't the issue. The insane frequency of them is the problem. The unlikely becomes predictable. Like a shock jock on the radio, you know they will say something outrageous every time, so they up the volume. It seems like Rimworld went that way. Which is narratively ... boring.  Or like a horror movie where you know the jump scare is coming, every time. I annoyed friends by laughing hysterically at those by half-way through. The story was no longer scary, just ridiculous. The better narratives are even more random. You know somethings coming but not exactly what or when. The horror movies went so far that way its now a trope, sent up a while back like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs5FWIUqu20

I think that is why a lot of us play using Randy or odd difficulties: to get a little of the unpredictability into the story that is gone in the base narrative. It isn't a rare event if you know it will happen. At least Randy randomizes the sequence of the appearance of the (no longer rare or interesting but now ludicrous) "rare" and odd events.

Because once you've seen that Rimworld over uses its gags, the story becomes mundane, boring and less fun.

Lets not hide behind the chainsaws, every freaking time.

mangalores

It seems the game goes a bit in a wrong direction concerning "emergent gameplay" because seasoned Rimworld players complain about things being too easy. And yes, once you know the game, it is not difficult regardless of biome. Some biomes are rng if you crap out but once you climbed past a certain level everything goes well.

Thing is this kind of reward should be part of the gameplay loop. You should not struggle with the same problems in mid game as you did in early game and the same for late game. Like in a RPG a giant rat might be your first monster at level 1 you do not want to find that a life threatening encounter at level 20. Getting a rich, advanced colony is the reward of being good at the game.

While I think there could be expansion in the late game it should not be by curtailing stuff, but by adding game mechanics. And even in reverse if nothing is added there is no need to "fix" issues like enemy pawns surviving battles or man hunter meat decay. That adds no feature, it adds grind and if that is no challenge to the player, that kind of should be the reward for playing the game well.