Long-winded Rant/Critique

Started by TrashMan, May 25, 2020, 05:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

Just stop with the real life bullshit. Its a game and the point of it is to be enjoyable. If you want that, why dont you also ask for no time skip and that 1 second in game is 1 second in real life?
I see double standards here.

Codexehow

I definitely agree with a few of these. There are wayyy too many mods now that should simply be Core vanilla. That they are not is frankly inexplicable. A good example is that mod that lets you create stockpiles out of any selected item. This makes the early game much easier and prevents a lot of time digging around in the stockpile UI. How is this not native beavior? If a modder can do this in his/her spare time, surely you guys could implement this in short order.

The most annoying thing to me is updates for a DLC I don't want that is brekaing mods I do want. Can we just get a stable release that will allow mods to work? Rimworld was an innovative game, but I haven't played vanilla in years and likely never will again. I thought 1.0 was to be stable so that mods would always work going forward. Now we're on 1.1 with DLC. What's next? 2.0 on a new engine for $50? :P

Alenerel

Quote from: Codexehow on June 03, 2020, 05:03:15 PM
A good example is that mod that lets you create stockpiles out of any selected item.

Can you link that mod, please?

Codexehow

Quick Stockpile Creation. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1742151109.

One of the best QoL mods I've seen. Spend like 90% less time in stockpile UI. It's especially useful if you play with Real Ruins.

TrashMan

Quote from: Alenerel on June 02, 2020, 07:15:52 PM
Just stop with the real life bullshit. Its a game and the point of it is to be enjoyable. If you want that, why dont you also ask for no time skip and that 1 second in game is 1 second in real life?
I see double standards here.

There is no double standard, you're committing a logical fallacy (Ad Absudrum) by going into extremes that no one advocates for. No one was asking for 100%, total realism.

You know what makes a game enjoyable? A sensible challenge. Things working as expected.

Alenerel

You are mixing things. When its convenient you say "muh simulation" and when its not you say "muh common sense". You literally cant have both at same time. Just ask what you want, but dont use these bs arguments.

Codexehow

He's not wrong about ad absudrum. He's asking for more realism in the game. Instead of admitting that he may be right on some points, you go to extremes, trying to make his argument look absurd. That's what ad absurdrum is. He didn't ask for 1:1 time simulation. He basically seems to be asking for vanilla game play to make more sense, so he wouldn't be so reliant on mods for the game to be fun.

Ad absurdrum is typical of fanboyism. I understand defending the developers since this is their house, but blind fanboyism doesn't really help anyone.

His presentation is a bit aggressive, but he's got some good points. There are a lot of mods that should be vanilla. Instead of getting that integration to get a better game, we got a DLC that no one asked for. A DLC that is breaking mods. I, for one, cannot generate a new game right now. I have to go through my mod list and see which mod is not behaving with the new update. Since I have 100+ mods, I can't do that for some time. It's annoying.

All I want is a stable version of the game that will work with mods going forward. I thought that is what 1.0 was supposed to be. Guess not. If the devs are not going to make new major features, then they should call it a day and let modders create new content. That means leaving the game alone for the most part. But...gotta sell DLC I guess. Maybe instead of DLC...start work on RW 2.0 on a better engine? Create an entirely new game so that we can have our mods and you can have your revenue.

zizard

Quote from: Ilya on May 29, 2020, 02:40:22 PM
I agree with most of your points, but I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned the worst example of artificial difficulty in the game: pawns freezing up after shooting. No other mechanism in the game has ever made me as mad as this. I've lost many games just because a raid managed to get through my door simply because my pawn stays paralyzed for so long after shooting that the enemy manages to reach the door and then they all start pouring in. It wasn't always like this; you used to be able to move immediately after shooting, but because people were using this to skirmish from doors, this got changed to how it is currently. Completely artificial. There were other better solutions that could be implemented instead, for example finding a way for the AI to deal with this by programming them to start aiming at the door when they see that it's opening up.

Use draft cancel to peek as the doors auto close.

Alenerel

Trying to argue that I argue "at absurdum" and immediately after calling me fanboy. You could not be more wrong.

This game needs a lot of QoL improvements, I know, but Im tired of the "muh real life argument". Im playing two games now, and in both forums the players are using the same shit argument. And in both cases making the game as real as possible would literally make it unplayable and unenjoyable.

Also Tynan already said like a thousand times. Its not that he does not want to make those, its that they are at the bottom of a large list of things that never stops growing.

B@R5uk

Quote from: Alenerel on June 04, 2020, 05:40:33 PMAlso Tynan already said like a thousand times. Its not that he does not want to make those, its that they are at the bottom of a large list of things that never stops growing.

They should just reevaluate their priorities then. QoL features should be there yet yesterday if not year ago. Not that I never play '90s games on DosBox with all their unfriendly interfaces.

TrashMan

Quote from: Alenerel on June 04, 2020, 06:20:23 AM
You are mixing things. When its convenient you say "muh simulation" and when its not you say "muh common sense". You literally cant have both at same time. Just ask what you want, but dont use these bs arguments.

How are they contradictory? By what logic?
A simulation by definition follows common sense, since the result of a simulation would be the one common sense would dictate.

TrashMan

Quote from: Alenerel on June 04, 2020, 05:40:33 PM
Trying to argue that I argue "at absurdum" and immediately after calling me fanboy. You could not be more wrong.

This game needs a lot of QoL improvements, I know, but Im tired of the "muh real life argument". Im playing two games now, and in both forums the players are using the same shit argument. And in both cases making the game as real as possible would literally make it unplayable and unenjoyable.

That is subjective. And also wrong.

Again, no one said "as real as possible". I see the world realistic carries so much baggage that it's impossible to get a point across using it. Lets use something else...versimilitude? Believeability?

You have yet to make a single argument as to WHY  and HOW any of the proposed changes would make the game worse. I'm still waiting.
How would metal not burning make the game worse?
How would more early research make it worse?
How would more organic raid mechanic make it worse?
How would more sensible surgery make it worse?

jager666

I wish I still had so much time to waste to go on a forum a post a page long manuscript about how I don't like the game I'm playing xD

Quote from: Codexehow on June 03, 2020, 05:03:15 PM
[...] The most annoying thing to me is updates for a DLC I don't want that is brekaing mods I do want. [...]

I'll take 'techprints' for 100, Alex.

RawCode

you forgot absurd grid shortcut event that punish you for having batteries!

game designed to be unfair and somewhat immersion breaking, it's intentional design, after some rage inducing combinations of raids and mindbreaks i decided to patchout some of systems, events and other things i do not "like".

result was blant mechanical "process" (not ever gameplay) that you can't "remember" because nothing actually happening.

game especially designed around making things that you remember, sadly, in most cases you will remember it because absurd combination of unfair and immersion breaking, but you do remember it.