Tax Collector

Started by Liwet, May 26, 2020, 06:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liwet

A tax collector comes around once a year to collect silver or gold based on the wealth of your colony.  He leaves after 24 hours.  If he isn't paid, a quadrum later, members of his faction will come into your base and deconstruct/destroy various parts of it.  Maybe he can even be schmoozed a bit (ala hospitality mod) to stay an extra day or two so you have time to feed him lavish meals and have your "beautiful" colonists entertain him at night all for the purpose of him finding a loophole or two in the tax code to reduce what you might owe.

In every Rimworld game I've played, my wealth just goes up and up and up and there's really nothing to slow the growth (especially if I'm smart about handling raids).  Also, a lot of people just like playing the colony management part of the game and don't want to build a space ship.  Why not have something that benefits a wealth-growing playstyle such as having someone come along a take a small percentage of it each year.

kclace

You combine that idea with royalty and it would be great. Make the empire tax people!

gendalf

I'm not a fan of 'the empire', the game should have a political map mode available in the world map, so your default 'allegiance' determined if you pick your starting point inside one of the political regions (or start as independent outside of said regions) and then you can declare independence and project own influence / tax others yourself or other stuff or separate to (join) another region.

Zaire82

I think the occasional "protection fee" offer you already get sorta serves the same purpose. The issue with that, however, is that it's always a tiny and entirely affordable sum, and that it's pretty rare sometimes.
I've had colonies go their entire existence without getting that event at all.