Fertile fields, full of friendly boomalopes...

Started by Mr_Fission, August 24, 2020, 09:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Fission

It seemed like such a good idea at the time.  I tamed a couple dozen boomalopes, and my team of tamers would milk them on a regular basis for chemfuel.  The chemfuel was pouring in, and I was happily selling it for a nice profit.  However I hadn't assigned dedicated haulers, and was manually sending dudes out to pick it up off the ground every now and then.

Life was good for a few years, until a half dozen of my herd got the flu at the same time.  I wasn't terribly concerned because animals rarely die from the flu even without human intervention.  So I wrote the event off in my mind and went back to amputating prisoners.

When the first of my boomalopes died, I was surprised, but not really alarmed.  I dropped a home area around the fire and figured that would be that.  Yeah no.  The second boomalope died from the flu and went off when my firefighters were basically in point blank range.  It was at that point I knew I'd fucked up.  The rest of my herd, naturally curious about what was going on, had closed to essentially point-blank range and were pingponging back and forth around my colonists.  Then I realized I was standing in the middle of a large outdoor stockpile of bottled accelerant.

The chemfuel started cooking off, lighting more boomalopes on fire, who, in a panic, began running around, catching other things on fire.  More chemfuel explosions, more boomalope explosions.  Colonists in flames, trees in flames, grass in flames... Chaos.  Normally I get mad when things go wrong, but this was so masterfully played by Randy that I just had to laugh and waggle a finger at him. :)

kclace

That reminds me of the time a colonist had a mental break and intentionally destroyed a stock pile of 500 chemfuel. My whole colony died in the resulting building fire.

Lesson learned. Firepoppers are your friend!

Now is it just me or does Randy love killing players with fire?