Your not so cheap ideas.

Started by Ferigad, October 09, 2013, 12:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miah999

Quote from: huxi on October 17, 2013, 08:45:52 AM
Quote from: Joe_Robins on October 17, 2013, 07:06:16 AM
I did search and although I found ideas that had the same name, my concept is slightly different.

Here is my super simple idea, a power switch.

When placed it conducts power and can be toggled on and off.

Possible use cases:
Creating backup battery banks that you can enable if power gets disrupted
Creating power grids that allow you to prioritize power in an emergency, i.e one circuit that disables hydroponic lighting when power is low and raiders strike.

Ideally such switches wouldn't have to be toggled on the map. It would be perfect if they could get a label and would also show up in a special menu/window with checkbox to toggle the state. Sounds very helpful.

Better yet the ability to assign them to a keyboard short cut, would be great.

starlight

New Idea:

If we are going to have "barbed wire" and "landmines", can we get tanks to counter them, and.....trenches.

This is very combatey...., and I don't know how cheap.
But I like the idea.

Noxmutagen

1. Long Standing Events: from what ive seen in the kickstarter the events come in spurts, and most of the time the effects of an event only last awhile. Sometimes longer, but never really that long. It comes and it moves on, no matter what it appears to be. But I would like to see more and more events overlap each other. And I'd love some world changing events that really leave meangingful impacts on each colony. Such as:

-"Bandits released the viral mutagen from an abandoned research facility!" this one here would be responsible for releasing the undead viral plague, soon to follow would be a slow moving airborn infection with visual identifiers heading towards your facility from some unknown direction, zombie like entities and mutated creatures who arent safe to eat. Your need to research a cure ASAP. and last very long - the whole point. It isnt just some small event its going to be fealt for quite a while and should impact other events like random travelors might be infected or might need help, raiders might actually try to JOIN you enmasse out of blind fear, etc. And surviving the event could leave long lasting effects on your little colony.

-"The Moon blew up." this could have meteorite showers that totally rain down hell for a long time.

-"Local Wildlife, due to the amount of failed bandit raids on their population, have now developed a taste of Man Flej." yeah now everything on the world map wants to eat people. Maybe even stronger types of creatures migrate towards your colony from off the map, big bear type creatures.

-"It came from another world! Watch out!"

Aliens. Plain and simple. Get some X-COM action in there. Could maybe add researching of alien tech!! Ha!

-"THE PLANTS ARE ALIVE!" Thats right, sentient man eating PLANTLIFE, could add some creepy looking walking plants, maybe even ones that could be talked to with some diplomacy thats researched "plant speak". Maybe they want a certain amount of nutrient paste a week or they eat you all. Etc.

-"Rogue Robots" yeah who knows what tech survived the crash same as you.

-"Mechs" yeah ok just thought id state what most people want.

Mechs, alright thanks.

jpmelguizo

External security services: the player would be able to hire mercs/bots for a monthly fee. They can't be controlled, and will only serve for military purposes.

This idea could be "upgradable" and become a source of interesting events. It will also allow players to focus in the non-military aspects if they want to.

Noxmutagen

#1. Idea: Let us eventually research our own Vats.

Description: I want to clone my own soldiers.

Repercussions: My scientist wasn't that good, gene sequenced flesh eating psychos instead of loyal and obedient soldiers.

#2 Idea: Bionic Chair

Description: Researched, we can now implant some of our colonists (maybe non-nobles) with upgrades that make them more effective at certain tasks.

-Traders could trade us rare schematics to complete it.

-Installing them wrong could be bad, very bad.

-Could remove or circumvent traits on individuals. Maybe brain modifications can remove fear entirely at the cost of health or where prolonged use could cause brain damage.

-Artificial eyes, night vision, increased gun skill.

-Unlocks future possibilities like special abilities if you ever added them.

-Another use for Doctors

Rabbit

I really hope, the stuff i am suggesting was not mentioned before, so i´ll just give it a shot:

~ Meteors: Basically the same thing as Lightning, but with a slightly higher destructive power and damage radius. Additionally, some could have metal inside of them. They should be very rare, though.

~ fences, fences, fences, for defence: Barbwire-fences (hurting characters who walk over them), electric-fences, laser-fences, tar-pits (could be lit up to burn those damn raiders in their own, local hell).

~ Energy-Shields: Hell, sandbags are fine, when getting shot at with a Shotgun, but what if the enemy has greater firepower than that?
There is only one answer: Small Energy-Shields (maybe 3 tiles long), wich can not be penetrated easily, but drain an enormous amount of energy (There could be a change of somewhat 20% that a bullet penetrates the shield). This is very high-tech, but i think the defensive gameplay could profit from such an option.

~ Mines: I am not talking about explosive-charges, they are great for mining and ambushes, what i suggest, are the evil little things, that immediately blow up, when a person, may it be a raider or someone else, steps on them. Laying out minefields could provide a lot of protection, but will also create a no-mans-land and could lead to hilarious situations, when Lam the Oaf has one of his moments and accidentally steps into the minefield. (This could be even funnier, if alcohol is implemented and drunken colonists would wander around aimlessly... so much joy!) I am aware, that this could be used to totally shield the colony and may be to overpowered, but again just imagine the possibility of a boomrat stepping on a mine and unleashing a massive chain-reaction.

~ Windows: Plain and simple. A window in a wall, where light comes trough at day and raiders can be shot through at night.
Same protection as a sandbag, but cannot be climbed through.

~ Mass-Graves: Maybe a bit sadistic, but what better for striking fear in the hearts of the colony-folks, than an old-fashioned mass grave for raiders and other troublemakers. It coule, for example, hold 10 bodies and would be 3 x 3 or bigger. The single Graves just take too much space after a few hours and Lam the Oaf is not always eager to go out and burn those bodies from the field, especially when there are mines buried everywhere...

Thats it for now, hope some of this is actually interesting or usable.

SilentDawn

My suggestions:

1. Wind farm - generates power from the wind, x3 output when a storm is happening.
2. Flag pole - one does not simply start a colony without a flag, right? (maybe add custom flag option later)
3. Ability to move a building or furniture by right clicking on it and choose "move". they object will be grayed out until you choose a location for it.
4. Trees!

gigan

Morters/Artillery

I know it was said, dust storms.

guard towers.

Weather or other events that keep everyone trapped inside for a time.

Milk bags

old crashed ship hulls to explore and cave systems.

m0n4rch911

Incinerator - For dead bodies. Since i'm at my 90th day and i lost count of all the raiders i killed.. Probably 100+ already. My cemetery is bigger than my yard. 140 Holes filled up now. Either burn them like zombies or decompose them fast.

The wall maintenance bugs me a lot. An option for Wired Walls or Pure Wall would be a nice add. Atleast you can map out your Wiring more and not leave a mess of power conduits. Aesthetically speaking.

Attack Dogs. Better a dog dead than your people. More mayhem looking too.

Suicide bombers "Can be humans or remote controlled "Enemy": So even if you made a death trap, there's a chance your plan wont work and you have to engage on a fire fight even though you have walls all over. Again, more mayhem.

Recycling thing. Whatever you create or call it. It would be nice if there's a solution for the dump site. Recycling the rubles to make concrete or something to stock walls or something.

Maned Turrets. So even if there's a solar flare event during a raid. You can rely on heavy weapons for substitute.

===

Regarding the Pure Wall thing.

It's been easy ambushing the raiders. Smarter raiders would be nice. Like them ignoring your trap and target your walls instead to get in your base. Something like that.

Livestock. I know burgers are just murder. Since your trapped in the moon, muffalo burger replacement would be nice. Rather that Icky paste everyday.

Water. To make it more realistic. Everybody needs water.

Tunnelers " Enemy. Surprise attack when you have a base inside a mountain. When you progress long enough, those buggers starts appearing.

===

I noticed this looks like Prison Architect. Since that's the case. I found the blueprint layout great. For planning purposes. Mapping out your future base would make your gameplay more smooth on longer gameplay.

Aliens. Well, your not on earth anymore. Unknown planet. Insane aliens with laser guns would be nice.

===

Raiders can set up camp and build a base of their own. Instead of them attacking, you have the option to hit back and loot them instead.

Raufgar

Would a rotatable game area/map be too much? I find that sometimes seeing things from a different perspective, even on a static map like Rimworld's, works wonders for tactical and planning considerations. An option to toggle it on and off would mean people who prefer their playing area to stay in one place thank-you-very-much will not be inconvenienced by it.

On another note, after reading all the requests for animals and animal husbandry to be added into the game, I would like to propose a small addition : Manure. Since the Muffalo is currently the largest animal in the game, and we have herds of them, having them generate manure that shows up on the ground should not be too difficult (either program in chance for a muffalo to "let it go", if successful a manure pile appears behind it; or simply have manure appear randomly inside and around a herd of muffalos.

Uses of manure is very broad, but game-wise, we can start of by having it provide increased food yields to fields in the form of fertilizer, and when dried a firestarter (outdoor campfire/incinerator anyone?)
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

Fernadon

Thank you, Blitz.

More Cheap Ideas:  ;D

Functional Buildings: If there wil be rivers = hydroelectric power plants please, trap signal (entice unsuspecting space travelers to raid them),
Traits: Shy (Person don't chat & you don't know his/her other Traits), chatty (loves to chat and gives other persons additional bonuses, but works much slower (obviously ;D )), claustrophobic (don't like to be underground), militant (get fighting-bonuses, but become angry after a few days without a fight = lowers loyality),
Events: Beeing blackmailed by Mafia or a local raider-gang (something like: "invest" XXX Ore or gang will attack (a very cheap one ;-) )),  plague of insects (destroying potatoes  :'( ), and a 4th time: Crashed ship ... please
Misc: Alien (looking) Raiders, an old minefield (There are several signboards to define it. But in the centre of this minefield might be something very useful),

Evul

This have been addressed some were before but i have a little system for it.

Salary:
If you want to make the colonists happier you can adjust salary of individuals from the overview menu. The happiness is improved by 1 each x of salary given to them. (Nobles expect to be well paid. ;) )

Personal Belongings:
Personal belongings this includes; clothing, models, books, hand held computers etc. are used by colonies and increase happiness. The player obtain these items are by the player to import them form a trade vessel or by the colonist to loot it from dead raiders. For the colonists to obtain these items they buy it from the stockpile or some kind of provider by the colonists. (Beware they might steal stuff if they lose it.)

The personal items are stored in rooms with furniture. Containers (Furniture, shelves, small desks etc.) or Personal lockers.

When a colonist store items they search for the containers inside the room firs then search for a personal locker some were in the base to store his or her items. (A colonist does not store items inside a container in an already occupied room.)

This might have been a slight more pricy idea then the topic says...

FangoWolf

Low and High Gravity -
Low gravity colonists movement speed would increase and time between required feedings lengthened.

High Gravity colonists movement speed reduced and time between feedings shortened

Set 25% speed changes and 10% feeding changes unless it is easily scalable.

FangoWolf

Off world Part

Complicated machinery can't be repaired or built without an offworld part.  The escape pods could be scrapped for 6 offworld parts, so starting out you would be able to produce 6 complicated items.

m0n4rch911

Hope this counts as Cheap Ideas. Hard to suggest if your not a game developer.

Interface Shortcut keys: For everything, if possible. Dunno if everyone would benefit though. For advanced players. So we can activate fast forward and maneuvering the buildings faster and more fluid.

Character Selection Remove Random and replace with Editing with Restrictions. So we won't mash Random when choosing characters.

Colonists Designate Perimeter by cell for Colonists. So we can prevent them from straying too far from the base. And get dirt all over the base too much.

Colonists Designate Guard and Patrol Waypoints. So when there's a Boomrat gone wild, we won't need to bother the other Colonists working within the Designated Perimeter and just let the Guard on duty deal with the security. Specially when the Colony's getting larger. Perfect for Assassins and Nobles.

Building Support Beams for Mining. So when mining a big area, risk of collapse can be prevented.

Krockobil. Randy Random does double pirate raids. Even three pirate raids. Experienced that often on my playthrough. I encountered 3 Groups of 20 raiders once, 3 waves in total. Hehehe. Good thing i have bombs all over the place.

Oh. Another thing.

An expensive large battery capacitor. Just to free space for developing colonies.

Please try and use the edit button instead of posting multiple times in a row within a hour. Thank you very much (-:
Ive edited your posts together.