Looking for Mod Collaborator: Gladiator Armor Set

Started by Adrian_Alastair, June 09, 2020, 07:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian_Alastair

Gladiator Armor Set

Sprite preview: https://imgur.com/BgZ4RY1

Hi guys, this is an armor set that I've been working on for the past week. They work perfectly fine as a re-texture, but I would love them to be more than just that. I have zero coding knowledge, doing the art is what I love. So I'm looking for someone more talented out there to code them into the game and share it with the Rimworld community.

Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks.

Shinzy

Just wanted to say these look really great! ;D
I do hope to see more like this to become a thing

Settlerking

If I wasn't a hack fraud I'd def help you. I'd butcher the balancing of this armor and propably screw something up. If no one reponds though I'd help you anyway because this looks sooooooo good and I want it. I'd recomend someone else though. I'm a novice at best

kyanos

im new to modding rimworld, but so far so good. anyway some questions on the armor set from a design perspective.

first and foremost, what sort of full armor are you thinking of? it looks like a modified (ish) set of roman style plate armor similar to the ones used by caesars legion in fallout new vegas. in terms of accurate balancing its probably best to use the standard plate design as the template and work from there. at which point its just a question of how do the two compare?

standard plate tends to be worn with something under it, partially because wearing a solid shell of metal on bare skin sucks, but also partially to armor the joints to some degree. this adds weight and reduces mobility from a theoretical standpoint

so, the core questions here are -
based on the pictures there are three distinct classes of armor. is that what is intended? basically a light, medium and heavy set?
what is under the armor? basic cloth, padding, leather or chain?
based on the pictures, it looks like its meant to be heavy riveted plates, is that accurate?
does the armor extend to gauntlets and greaves?

cant really think of anything else... and seeing as im mostly repurposing stuff, i wouldnt be able to do anything with the shield as i dont think theres a similar item in vanilla rimworld... just the energy shields. anyway even if you get someone else to do it, having those details should help with balancing it out in comparison to plate armor.

edit - dug into the system a little and i think it'd be fairly easy to add items. you primarily just need two definitions added, one for the actual item itself and another for the action of crafting the armor. i think if you dont include the crafting bit, it will still spawn on NPCs at random, but im not entirely sure there.

anyway going back to the comparison to plate armor ingame... based off its stats, im assuming the plate armor model in game is plate over chainmail. however its mostly a 'closed' set, with the armor covering the joints as much as possible and includes gauntlets and greaves. in other words very heavy armor thats focused almost purely on defensive value rather than overall function.

as far as my questions above in relation to your armor set's balance...
if it doesnt include greaves and gauntlets, i would say lower the weight and the mobility penalty. it probably should be a lower penalty anyway cause it looks like its a more open joint design with the armor focused more on those central plates...
if it is heavy riveted plates, put the functional durability somewhere around the stock plate armor.
the as far as the under armor goes... i would personally set the overall defensive value specifically against piercing weapons to be lower than plate by a decent margin... and as the under armor gets heavier you increase the movement penalty, as well as the piercing resistance.

exact value wise... lets see. well thats rather unfortunate. just looked at the damage data (hadnt bothered to before) and theres functionally only three damage types, one of which being thermal damage...

stock plate is...

290 HP / durability
.8 c/s movement speed reduction
.73 for resistance, im assuming of the material its made of.

so, since it doesnt split slashing and piercing damage into two different things, just reduce the overall defense (the .73) based on the answers to the above. say remove .04 for every tier of defense dropped. so if its not heavy riveted, reduce by .04. for every stage below chainmail on the under armor, reduce by .04. for both, probably decrease the movement penalty by either .1 or .05 per tier as well... that one im not sure, prolly want to run some tests to see what fits better. for the HP... dont decrease the durability for the under armor alterations, but if its not heavy riveted plate reduce by say... between 20-40 points i'd say.

all ballparks, would require some testing to see if the numbers make it a fair trade.