Gourmand Rework

Started by Nebbie, June 22, 2020, 11:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebbie

For those who don't know, Gourmand is a trait that makes a pawn starve 1.5x faster, have +4 cooking skill, and go on a food binge as their mental break. It is absolute garbage to have around, as I've recently discovered, but it's not just bad, I think it's completely misdirected. The idea of it is to have a good chef, but who will demand good cooking...but in practice, you get no bonus at all in exchange for a pawn that starves every single morning with the default sleep schedule.
It's very strange that an interest in fine dining leads to someone's body physically using more food. What's worse however is that the gameplay solution to this is to offset their food usage by...feeding them nutrient paste, which they don't mind any more than any other non-ascetic pawn. And there's no real penalty for this, because if they break, they'll just binge on food anyways, so you might as well restrict their eating to paste early and likely come out ahead overall compared to not letting them break...so your fine-dining-interested pawn is now the only one eating paste, which is completely backwards.
The skill bonus is also meaningless except in the super early game, and doesn't make much sense compared to passions. Why does someone whose passion is said to be fine dining simply have a flat bonus to cooking instead? Why would they not be interested?

Here's what I propose to replace its stat changes:

• "Hungry" saturation level increased (pawn will be annoyed by hunger faster, but not starve any faster, basically just whiny and often wasting food)
  • Mood effects of meal quality shifted down, so fine meals are the neutral point instead of simple meals, and nutrient paste is utterly revolting to them
  • Automatic burning passion for cooking
  • Mood bonus from cooking

LWM

I would disagree with automatic burning passion for cooking.

Gourmand refers specifically to eating, and there are plenty of people who really like to eat, but don't want to do the work (imagine a stock broker in NYC who eats out all the time, but who has no interest in cooking for themself).

tertius

There are two very similar descriptions for people who love food and eating. There is the gourmand, who loves to eat much and tends to gluttony regardless the quality of the food. And there is the gourmet, who just loves good and fine food, but in ordinary quantities. The gourmand trait, that makes a pawn to hunger faster, thus make him eating almost twice, is really fitting. In the real world, if a gourmand is going an a food binge, he will order double meals from the service or eat everything half-cooked or leftover he finds in the fridge in the middle of the night. There is this legendary scene in Monty Python's Meaning of Life where the restaurant guest explodes - this is a true gourmand.

If there is something missing, it's a "gourmet" trait that gives a pawn a mood penalty if he doesn't get lavish meals, and probably even outright refuse stuff nutrient paste meals and raw food. On the other hand, this is a too crippling trait for tribal starts or any colony start in general. It might be a candidate for a trait someone acquires randomly in the mid game - if he eats a lavish meal for the first time, for example.

AileTheAlien

Quote from: LWM on June 23, 2020, 01:33:42 PM
I would disagree with automatic burning passion for cooking.
imagine a stock broker in NYC who eats out all the time, but who has no interest in cooking for themself
I've got the same problem with the +4 skill itself - they might eat a lot of food, but that doesn't mean they actually know how to cook for themselves.

Snowscoran

I would rename Gourmand to Glutton:

Glutton
All mental breaks are food binges, will go on occasional food binges even when mood is high.

Because the hunger rate multiplier has some dumb effects, and the cooking skill bonus is unnecessary. This way it becomes a largely neutral flavour trait- you get some additional binges but the pawn is limited to a fairly benign type of mental break. I also think renaming is a good idea because Gourmand is too easily confused with Gourmet.

With that said, Gourmet could be a fun trait in its own right:

Gourmet
Character receives an increased mood bonus from eating lavish meals or other luxurious food (chocolate, insect jelly etc) but will become very unhappy with anything less sophisticated than a fine meal.