When I put in hydroponics, my pawns stop planting in growing zones

Started by mzonk, August 01, 2020, 09:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mzonk

I'm not sure whether this is a bug of a feature, and I'm not angry about it, but...I just built up an in-mountain hydroponics garden and, when I did, my pawns stopped planting things in the nearby growing fields.  I have twelve in this particular game and set THREE of them to "grow" as their number one work priority.
They all concentrate on the hydroponics basins.
They're not starving, but it strikes me as a little strange.  What happens if I build a second indoor hydroponics garden?  If I put down a basin or two that's outdoors?

mzonk

And what happens to that 10X10 field of Devilsrand I have planted after it gets harvested?  The healroot that never gets planted?  This is an issue of what will or will not grow in a hydroponics basin and what does or does not get planted when you've got a basin or two--or twenty give or take--in your infrastructure.  Specifically, what happens when you have a field of something that will grow in a hydroponics basin, a field of something that won't and a basin or two indoors?  Outdoors?

Canute

Hi,
without any screenshot or safegame (if you play without mods) it is hard to say.
But i guess you pawn's are busy wo plant and harvest the hydroponic special when they are closer to their bedroom/dinnerroom then the growing zones.
Hydroponic have no priority at planting/harvesting, it is all about range and what needed to do (harvest got higher priority then sow).
Maybe you should move either the devilstrand to the hydroponics, or create an area to exclude the hydroponic and assign it to one of the garden pawn's.

But overall it sounds more you have much more work for your garden pawn's then these could handle. You should improve them so they move faster (no heavy armor, Bionic legs) work faster (bionic arms) and assign more pawn's to grow, special with a passion.

Fruitvlieg

did you set a manual priority for grow/plant cut work. so that your pawns do this first ? 

Jean

mzonk

Thank you all for your attempted help.  My best guess is that it's the range thing.  Here's a screen shot meant to show the extent of the colony in question:

Canute, I'm sorry, but I had trouble understanding what you wrote.  This is probably as much my problem as yours.  I've edited novels for publishing houses, and my mind can be diabolically precise sometimes.

It is funny that you should point out that hydroponics have no priority, because my experimentation says that this is not true.  Shown here is a screenshot of hydroponics basins in an outdoor field.  Both the basins and the field are set to grow cotton.   Guess which one is getting plants sown in and wich one isn't...

As to the work priorities, I doubt that this is a problem.  I have twelve colonists and have assigned several to just growing.  They all crowd around the basins.  Here are my priorities

I guess this one will have to go unsolved for now.

I'm having another minor difficulty.  It seems like everything electrical in the colony browns out no matter how much generating capacity I put in.

Canute

So far i can say there is no different at the worktypes.
There is only sow and harvest, nothing to force pawn's to sow on hydroponics.
But don't forget that healroot/devilstrand need a min. skill to get sown and it takes more time to sow these then rice/corn at expample.

You realy should try to made 2 bedrooms close to the outdoor field together with a small dining room, just to see if that force these 2 pawn to stay at the outdoor fields.

Jean

I believe he prohibited planting in the fields.
But difficult to know exactly since we do not have access to information such as a save or a screenshot showing the information from the fields.
He could also select a pawn, right clicking on the field and read the tooltip to understand what his error is.

mzonk

"Prohibited" implies deliberateness, making the description inapt; however, sowing did somehow become forbidden in those fields.

Thank you for alerting me to this.  I allowed sowing and the problem went away.

Canute

Yeah maybe the fields need a big "X" overlay when you forbid sowing there! :-)

Bozobub

Quote from: Canute on August 05, 2020, 03:20:39 AM
Yeah maybe the fields need a big "X" overlay when you forbid sowing there! :-)

That's a good idea; an alpha-blended, dim "X" would help a LOT.
Thanks, belgord!