Death chance on fail when installing bionic parts

Started by Jean, July 06, 2020, 05:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jean

In the description of the installation of a bionic part, the death chance on fail is always 0%, while the failed surgery can cause death.
Is this a bug?

Jean

Canute

If you think this is a bug.
And i would consider it as bug, when you fail on an important orgran transpant without death chance.
Then you should post it at the bug section, and maybe in a day,week,month a devs may answer or even fix it.

Jean

Thank you for your response, I wanted confirmation that I would not bother a developer with an imaginary bug due to a misunderstanding of the game.

Bozobub

Quote from: Jean on July 08, 2020, 02:21:34 AM
Thank you for your response, I wanted confirmation that I would not bother a developer with an imaginary bug due to a misunderstanding of the game.
If you're polite about it and follow the bug reporting guidelines, I highly doubt anyone will mind =).
Thanks, belgord!

cultist

It may be a case of poor communication rather than an actual bug. The meaning of the text could be that the item itself (the heart) does nothing to affect the outcome of the operation (i.e. +0% chance of failure), but the skill of the doctor, the room's cleanliness etc. are still a factor, it's just not mentioned here because that's not what you're examining?

You'll never be able to see/examine the actual chance of failing a surgery, unless you take all the factors in play and add them together yourself in order to get the final outcome. And even then, I'm pretty sure there's still a diceroll involved (medical skill modified by medicine potency, which is randomized) that you can't predict.

Jean

@Cultist,
It's an interesting answer! But if all the items are at 0%, why use this parameter? Replacing a spine or heart seems more dangerous than installing wooden foot or denture.

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Doctoring#Surgery_failure
Wiki says : In addition, each surgery has a death on failure chance, meaning that when it fails it is possible that the colonist instantly dies.

cultist

Quote from: Jean on July 16, 2020, 02:32:09 AM
@Cultist,
It's an interesting answer! But if all the items are at 0%, why use this parameter? Replacing a spine or heart seems more dangerous than installing wooden foot or denture.

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Doctoring#Surgery_failure
Wiki says : In addition, each surgery has a death on failure chance, meaning that when it fails it is possible that the colonist instantly dies.

It's just theorycrafting at this point, but I think it's because there's a massive amount of stats you can pull from almost everything in the game, pawns in particular. Some of these stats won't make sense when applied to some items, but make perfect sense for others.
I doubt Tynan has ever done a "house cleaning" for these things, because it's a minor issue - most players aren't going to check the stats for every single object in the game, and it has no real effect on gameplay.

As for the wiki, it's almost always a little outdated - I wouldn't trust it blindly unless it cites other, newer sources.

LWM

If that text is meant to convey information and it doesn't, that's also a bug? So either way, post it in the bugs section  8)

Jean

Closed.
The developer responded in the bugs section