Desperate Things You Did To Survive

Started by kclace, July 08, 2020, 08:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kclace

So I've been playing with ReGrowth: Biomes of The Rim - Wasteland, and this is a seriously challenging biome but a must for a post apoc themed game.

This is the first time I had to resort to cannibalism to survive. Fortunately eating a few prisoners was enough to carry them through until the next potato crop could be harvested.

The next in game year, I had to banish two out of six colonists to keep from starving and having to resort to cannibalism again.

Here is a screenshot from one of my failed play throughs with this biome. This group was too weak from starving to survive a raid, they killed the raiders but then collapsed, and a fire killed everyone. Lesson learned. Don't underestimate the threat of starvation!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2149696523

What Desperate Choices Have you Made To Survive?

Ukas

Guess I should give that mod a try, could be interesting, as food haven't been an issue lately.

In A17 or so had a problematic winter in boreal forest biome, had a house rule not to build a greenhouse. Harvest was fine and had to build a new storage building for all the corn and potatos, wooden house that was completely burned during a mechanoid raid. I missed that one centipede with an inferno cannon which took another path and shot animals and whatnot at the base while the troops were fighting the main force in another side of the map. I had animal corpses in another freezer, so there was food for the autumn, but got a volcanic winter on top of the normal winter. And very few animals spawned on the map. So I decided to start a caravan, unsure if people left behind would survive I added everyone to it, over 20 colonists and then attacked a hostile tribe quite close to my colony. After the fierce attack was over my colonists took no prisoners and made food from the whole tribe. Hunted a lot too. Meanwhile there was another raid to my colony, by the pirates, and they did quite a lot of damage, great items like legendary beds and sculptures burned while the caravan was moving back, but hey, at least everyone survived that winter.

kclace

Wow, that's a lot of cannibalism, you must have had some serious mental breaks after that.

For the wasteland biome mod here are a few pointers:

1. Increase rainfall and decrease temp to max out the wasteland biome.
2. Toxic rainfall is the biggest challenge. My people almost starved because it rained for 20 days straight and I didn't risk planting crops during that time. My advice is plant whenever you can as soon as you can but watch toxic build up carefully.
3. The insectoids that start on the map don't really function right. I recommend going into dev mode and deleting them before you start.

Ukas

Quote from: kclace on July 14, 2020, 05:44:10 PM
Wow, that's a lot of cannibalism, you must have had some serious mental breaks after that.

Oh yeah there were plenty, I tried to micro to give normal food to the most sensitive colonists, but iirc people having mental breaks was the reason the caravan didn't make it back in time to save the base.

QuoteFor the wasteland biome mod here are a few pointers:

1. Increase rainfall and decrease temp to max out the wasteland biome.
2. Toxic rainfall is the biggest challenge. My people almost starved because it rained for 20 days straight and I didn't risk planting crops during that time. My advice is plant whenever you can as soon as you can but watch toxic build up carefully.
3. The insectoids that start on the map don't really function right. I recommend going into dev mode and deleting them before you start.

Thanks for these tips, likely my next game will be in wasteland