[Mod Request] Wall-Mounted Firefoam Poppers

Started by Gilpagai, July 20, 2020, 11:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilpagai

Mod Idea / Mod Request

Wall Light replaced the need for standing lamps and is widely considered an essential mod by RimWorld players. Light is an integral factor in keeping a colony running well, and no longer is it necessary to sacrifice multiple tile spaces just to keep a room well lit!

Well, isn't fire safety also critically important in keeping your colonists happy and healthy? Why yes, it is! But rarely do you come across a RimWorld player who has the time, patience, or floor space to set up proper firefoam infrastructure.

I present to you the next generation of saving direly needed tile spaces on the floor and colony building fundamentals: wall-mounted firefoam poppers! Acts just like a regular firefoam popper, but it's attached to the wall! Inspired by how real life sprinkler systems are attached to walls and ceilings, it's perfect for all of your fire prevention needs.

And best of all, I'm pawning it off to someone else to actually implement as a mod!

Regarding any mechanical issues, while writing this, I read on the RimWorld wiki that firefoam poppers are indeed capable of extinguishing walls on fire, but the walls themselves block the foam from passing any further. It was an initial concern of mine that the foam would shoot out parallel to the walls but not actually extinguish the fires on the walls. My only other concern is how exactly do the poppers decide what their radius is? Regular poppers' indicator circles will be blocked by walls (I'm assuming this, I haven't actually checked), so how far around corners would a wall-mounted variant be able to protect? If you were to put one on any side of a single, isolated wall block, would the protection indicator be a semi-circle, or would it wrap around the corner and stop until it was immediately opposite of the popper? This is not something for a non-modder to decide.

Cheers

natthegreat668

dubs bad hygiene has fire sprinklers that react to fire but they are built on the ceiling...