Crazy tribal defence...

Started by Hilvon1984, July 14, 2020, 06:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilvon1984

I just had a crazy quest generated to me by the game, I took up the challenge and, oh boy was it a massacre.

The quest suggested me to send a taunting signal to a tribe provoking their attack of about 150 tribespeople.
With two similar sized raids following shortly after.
Oh, and just to give you some perspective - my colony had 18 people, 4 of whom were children below 8 years old (so not really battle worthy) and one incapable of violent. But worry not. The Empire that offered me this quest sent 11 melee champions to help me with defence...

Still I managed to pull through. Had to expend 2 antigrain warheads... 4 people on my side died (thankfully those were the reinforcements champions rather than my own people). The only cataphracht armour set my brawler was wearing got reduced to 25% hp before the brawler went down from pain shock...
Thak was a massacre... And now I have a crapton of corpses all over the base to "help" with my colonist mood...

Hilvon1984

A few more details for to make this an actual story, rather than just an exclamation.

The playthrough is a tribal start on Phibie Savage (or whatever it is called now). 50% globe coverage with a goal to migrate to landed ship and fly away on it. The cycle goes like "Set up a base => Build up stable infrastructure => Stockpile 1500 pemmican => Pack up => Abandon settlement => Travel for circa 10 day => repeat"

Current base is 4th one on the way.
Techwise we just recently developed automated turrets, and this is why I decided to accept this obviously rediculous quest. The turrets, when placed correctly will persuade Sappers (and I assumed that of those 3 raids at least one would be sappers) to go into the killbox.
Despite relatively low tech level, we had some good gear, including one set of cataphracht armor and helmet? 2 Marine sets and 2 recon sets. Some were quest rewards, some were traded for. (One recon armor was kindly donated by an antient soldier who emerged from cryptosleep casket, turned hostile and then immediately overdosed on go-juice...) The Catapracht armor was given to the brawler, along with the persona plasmasword and a masterwork shild belt.

I had 2 days before the raids would arrive so I focused on placing the turrets in the correct locations (in case you are interested, sappers will try to path around the areas that are in turret LoS and they will try to find path to an owned bed. On top of it they don't case if turrets are online or even can be powered. So just dropping some turrets in the courtyard, while having the killbox wall lead directly to a bedroom theoretically persuaded the sappers to dive into the killbox and dig through that wall, while being in clear shot distance from my colonists lineup.
The plan was 90% a success, but one turret was not constructed in time. It has the resourced delivered, but it wasn't constructed before the first group spawned in. And unfortunately they spawned on the side where it would make sense for them to path through this turrets coverage zone. Which they did, and me constructing hte turret did not seem to force them to rethink their path. They approached my back wall and sarted digging.
There was no way I could afford to meet them in a fight on the far side of the base, so I decided to spend one of my "Get ou of jail" cards - one of 2 anigrain warheads, that was loaded into a mortar. The shot was not perfect, but it was close enough to leave only a dozen survivers from the first pack. It also wiped out my wall, but dealing with this first wave instantly bought me enough time to patch it up before second wave arrived.
The second wave was also sappers, and they were approaching from multiple sides. Usually this would be bad, but with the last turret constructed, they did path as I wanted them - into my killbox, so them being split into 2 groups actually helped me to meet them piecemeal... still it was too much. I just didn't have enough firepower to kill them as they were piling in. My Psycaster used "Vertigo pulse" to confuse them and halt their advance, but still they managed to get into melee range and my colonists took a beating. Thankfully a fair sized group of raiders got distracted by a turret that actually was online. They did club the durret to death, but it also exploded and took a halfdozed of attackers with it. And as I was finally turning the tide and pushing them back, the third wave hit.
Unlike the first two, the third attack was not sappers. Those were "Especially smart" raiders, and most importantly, they came with mostly ranged weapons. Half of my colony already took a beating, and I was inclined to risk my unarmoured pawns in a shootout - even a bow kan cut a throut out. So I gave order to expend my second and last antigrain warhead. Unfortunatelly, because the enemy was not standing still, the blast only cought about half of them, leaving 90 bodies on the ground, but not frocing them into retreat.
I decided that it was the time for Imperials to earn their pay, as their melee weapons and shild belts would make them a nice counter to the tribal archers. So 11 Chanpions, lead by my Chataphracht-armoured brawler went outside my walls to fight the enemies... But I got really disapointed as the Imperials got beaten down pretty fast. My brawler, however was fighting like a fury goddess she was. runnig from one enemy to the next, cutting them down in a single swing, and shrugging arrows off like they were noisy flies. Eventually she got knocked down too, but not before the killed a dozen enemies, and out of numerous hits she did take only one caused a small bleed, so there were no immediate danger of dying for her. And after this massacre they got on the way to the killbox, it took only a couple of raiders to be shot in the killbox before the rest started fleeing.

The battle was wo, and it was time to try and save whomever we could.
My colonists who got beaten fending the second wave were placed in the propper hospital with medicine being available so we managed to patch all of them before they could bleed out, and only one woulnd resulted in infection, so that was mostly fine.
The imperials however were outside, and most of them were wounded so bad that they probably would not have made it into hospital. So I placed a bunch of sleeping spots, marked as medical, made a temporary Allowed area containing only hte sleeping spots anf the wounded Imperials. Restricted my doctor to it, and tryed to save their lives by patching them up using only the medicine available in this ER area, aka none. One imperial died even before the battle was over. Another two bled out before I could save them and I conciously prioritised treating others. The last one I probably could have saved, but I thought that I have bandaged him already and only found out that I did not when he bled out.