A Serious Mistake (for me)

Started by MorganPike, July 28, 2020, 10:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MorganPike

So I made a serious mistake. I've been waiting a long time for a sale on Steam for this but it never came so I decided to use a $10 coupon for the Epic Store to purchase it. This was just a couple days ago and I so regret that purchase already. I won't get a refund because I'm already 15 hrs into the game. Yes, it's that good.

The problem is the Epic Store. So I'm asking Ludeon if there is any way of converting my Epic game into a Steam game. I see on your support page a statement you made about converting original keys into Steam keys as you wanted, and I paraphrase... "to let players play however they wanted." I assume the original keys were from crowd funding, but that's only an assumption. So in keeping with that philosophy I'd like to play this on Steam. I am more than willing to pay you the additional $10 to account for the savings I got from Epic.

I am so totally unimpressed by Epic. Please help!

RatCat

I'm in the exact identical situation. I emailed Ludeon and they're telling me they "can't" (They obviously can, they just don't want to) do anything for me unless I bought it straight from their website I didn't know existed (or I would have) until I dug around for like 15 minutes trying to find answers for this same terrible mistake. Modding is so difficult like this and I feel so much less inclined to buy the expansion if its through epic. So Ludeon only cares if everyone gets to play how they want if you're directly handing them the money and not if you buy it from places they chose to sell it, I guess? Feels bad. (I literally signed up to this forum to ask for help too, but I see no one replied to yours)

RawCode

game works same way no matter where you got it, what is your problem exactly?

Haplo

I'm sorry to hear that you regret the Epic store, but to be honest, I'm not surprised..
And to your most likely question: Can't I do something about it: No, I can not. I'm only a forum moderator.

But back to your problem with the transfer from Epic store to Steam: Do you really think that the stores will make it easy to switch from one to the other?
Hell no, they are actively working against each other, so I'm really not surprised that there is no way to switch from one to the other.

To be honest: The only downside that you have in regards to the Steam version is that you can't directly use the Steam Workshop.
But you also don't really need that, it only makes it a bit easier and more comfortable to find and add a new mod.

First: There are ways to download mods from the Steam Workshop without having Steam (I did it once, but forgot the procedure, so no help from my side, sorry) and

Second: Most steam mods have a non-steam-download. Check out the Mod section here in the forum for example.
Then you just have to find the RimWorld installation from the Epic store and put the manually downloaded mods into the /Mods subfolder. Activate them in the game and you are running your mods.

It is not as comfortable as the abo feature from the Steam-Workshop, but works 100% the same.

Canute

QuoteFirst: There are ways to download mods from the Steam Workshop without having Steam (I did it once, but forgot the procedure, so no help from my side, sorry) and
How to download Workshop mods without Steam account:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=52498.0