New Blight = dumb

Started by RicRider, August 03, 2020, 09:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RicRider

I'm probably opening a can of worms here but the new blight is dumb. I guess I noticed that lots of people were vocally complaining about the way the old one worked but I did not in my wildest dreams think that they would one day be taken seriously because it was seriously fine the way it was.

Now it's like every plant in a crop gets hit immediately so if you only had time to plant one crop and it was a map with 10 days growing period you now have to hunt for 3 quadrums instead and no fine meals for you! Makes Naked Brutality runs so much fun on tundra!

My suggestion would be to put it back the way it was because obviously next time I see people complaining about something that was good the way it was I will make sure I complain and challenge them vocally and publicly because 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' or something. I'll have to do things like this that are completely not in my nature, because every smart person knows that you don't go on someone's whiney thread (like this one) and feed their 'negative energy'. But I'll remember next time that my job is to fight the complainers and 'make sure my voice is heard' too so I can constantly live in the fear that a good mechanic will one day be removed because some babies (like me) whined about it.

Right now it gets disabled completely in scenario startup, because it was fine the way it was where you had to work to save part of the harvest. The new blight looks a bit to me like 'spoonfeeding'. So you have to harvest the whole crop and you get part of the harvest back whereas before you could do this anyway if you were proactive or used zones correctly. Yeah I get that people don't like using zones or work schedules but seriously this is your limitation - not mine.
##Coding Scrub##

Bozobub

I have to agree, the new Blight mechanism is inferior.
Thanks, belgord!

RicRider

Quote from: Bozobub on August 03, 2020, 10:06:50 AM
I have to agree, the new Blight mechanism is inferior.

Not only that, but apparently on doing some more research I discovered that people don't know about shift clicking commands and that even if they do, they 'hate' pausing the game. Because I guess God is watching you play RimWorld and making sure you don't do 'cheaty' stuff like pausing or something. The mind boggles.
##Coding Scrub##

Canute

Hey i love to pause the game, that's is the different between an action and a tactic/strategic game ! :-)

But the worst on the blight are, they allways appear at the evening short before the pawn's head to bed.
So i have mosttimes no choise then to manual select the pawn to force him to cut the plants.

Bozobub

*shrug*  This may have been done, simply to reduce the "click load" and complexity of the game.  While some immersion is ofc lost, OTOH the results are at least comparable to doing it the old, "right" way, with much less UI finagling.

In other words, the same basic mechanic is there, just simplified a bit.  I liked the older way much better but can deal.
Thanks, belgord!

AileTheAlien

Could someone explain what the "new" blight does? I haven't noticed since I started playing again, but I usually have small crops. RicRider seems to be implying it blights an entire field, if it's all the same crop?

UltimateTobi

Yeah, I am waiting for the official 1.2 release and haven't played RimWorld for months now.
Could someone give a short rundown on what the new mechanic encompasses; what makes it worse, what makes it better?
Your generic Steam user.

Bozobub

It's just faster; it's not the huge deal OP is making of it.
Thanks, belgord!

RicRider

Are we playing the same game? Apart from the obvious hyperbole in my post, I still described the blight exactly as it happens. It affects one field in its entirety, hitting every plant. It then has the potential to spread to other fields like it used to. The only difference between the way I manage the old blight and the new blight is that I cut the entire crop rather than tagging each blighted plant one by one after pausing then playing whack-a-mole with the ones that crop up. If the pawns were being stubborn and I was lazy to change their schedules then I would pause the game and shift click queue up the plants to be blighted.

But don't miss my point please, by nitpicking something irrelevant. My point was that if you just started and only had time to plant one crop in a tundra for example with 10 days of growing you lose your entire crop to the blight because all the plants get hit with it, rather than before, where you at least had a chance to just cut the ones that were blighted and still get some to harvest a few days later.

Is it clear now?
##Coding Scrub##

AileTheAlien

It's clear, but I think the new way more closely matches what you'd see in a sci-fi movie about some catastrophic crop failure. Namely, by the time you know it's happening (in the game, get the notification) it's already spread to all of your plants of the same species (the single, continuous field of crop). Working as intended IMO.

dearmad

To OP, one way to help offset the disaster it to plant 4 smaller fields with space between them instead of one field like you sued to. I know it's different, but ti works for me. Lose only 1/4 my crop at a time in a naked brutality start instead of ALL.

RicRider

Either it was a quiet update in the 1.2 version or I just got unlucky the first time but today with 1.2 and Royalty the blight only affected half a crop. I guess I'm not mad anymore!

Thanks for the feedback!
##Coding Scrub##

avancouw

Sounds like a new opportunity for a mod, get going *clap clap*