After playing for a while I find it odd that all the quests are very close by

Started by eugeneb, August 08, 2020, 02:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eugeneb

Just something I realized - I've played the game for a long long time and never had to travel far away for a quest. Essentially the rest of the planet doesn't matter - it could have been just the immediate neighborhood. I think it would be really cool if distance would be factored into quest reward. I'd love to travel half the world away or to some hard to access island to get a legendary monosoword or a stash of resurrection serum or something else like that. Get resupplied with pods on the way, camp for the winter, etc. Would be quiet a story to tell :)

Ukas

I like that thought, sometimes have been wondering the same. There could be like an event, which would lead to a quest, like a pawn get's an idea he wants to visit some colony to see a legendary artwork, and then you could send him to a caravan.

Also, why caravan events are still so lame?

eugeneb

Events have improved somewhat in the latest versions and there is also a mod that adds some really cool reasons to caravan. E.g. the other day I travelled to loot through a city that fell to an infestation and it was extremely cool, tense and memorable. Other than that, yeah - it's all usually a day away from the colony. I wish there was some function of distance-to-reward and I could travel far to obtain a legendary sword or resurrection serum or something like that. In my current playthrough I've been on the hunt for resurrection serum for more than 10 years now and I'd travel to the end of the world to obtain one.

Canute

Hehe yeah these infested city are a nice challenge, and like outpost/settlement they don't scale with the caravan strengh.
So when you don't bring enough firepower, you are a bug-feast.

Damn you must love these pawn, when you seek that serum for 10 years now. :-)

eugeneb

Haha yes, it's a bit of a long and dramatic story. The short version of it is that I have a naked brutality colonist on extreme desert who managed to survive. He is a hardcore ranged warrior with a backstory of space marine. My second colonist was his mother who crashlanded in a pod, she is a hardcore melee warrior with a "logger" backstory. Together they crushed many dangers until his mother was killed by a mech cluster and since then he is on a quest to resurrect her. The hope is slowly fading away though because he is 55 now and resurrection serum is nowhere to be found. There are a few other resurrection-worthy colonists waiting in the freezer too - his step-father and a few others who heroically fell while protecting colony.

AileTheAlien

eugeneb

Quote from: AileTheAlien on August 10, 2020, 08:19:23 PM
What mod adds infested city quests? :O
It's called "Go Explore!". Be careful out there - it's not your usual "bandit camp" quest, etc.  ;D