Option to limit linear difficulty increase

Started by Rulin, August 11, 2020, 02:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rulin

I was always more the builder & hoarder type when playing Rimworld. (actually in every game)
Because of that, the previous way the game threw "challenges" at you always bothered me. Especially in the late game, were I accumulated a lot of stuff (aka wealth) in all its forms (structures, food, medicine, mod items, art...), raids and other hostile encounters became too big to handle. Not that I couldn't, but I never really liked the micro that is involved in these huge battle scenarios and the overall focus of attention on the military aspects of the colony.
Of course I could just play it out in realtime after I placed my colonist, but the game tends to attack you from more and more directions and this approach usually ends in lots of death in destruction.
If you look back this became more problematic (for me) once the devs realised, that people were exploiting the potential of their killboxes and traptunnels, which made bigger raids much more managable back in the day.

The new option to remove wealth from the difficulty calculation really excited me at first. But now after listening to tynan in his newest dev update video I felt dissapointed that it actually has the potention to make the game even more harsher the longer you play.

Because of that I would really love to see a slider that caps the max size/power of encounters. Even better when you can adjust this while playing.

I could imagine this has the potential to be implemented (later) as a taunt/insult mechanic that allows you to increase the anger of certain hostile factions manually (over comms) or via certain actions. Anger or hostility then would be shown in addition to the relation value.

Pheanox