The paralytic abasia drop is too common

Started by avancouw, August 27, 2020, 07:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avancouw

It's partly a thought about realism and partly a thought about gameplay.

Dealing with them is annoying. I have to let them die and suffer the mood penalty, or rescue them even though they're probably not a "good" pawn.

Now on realism, psychosomatic paralysis isn't exactly a common thing. It will be more common for drops because people with psychosomatic paralysis are probably going to be "accidentally" sent to the wrong place.

But not to the point where every single colony I make gets at least one of these drops. It's just not gonna happen.

Summary: I prefer more "allied" drops and more "enemy" drops than abasia drops. I've already adjusted my preset accordingly, just wondering if anyone else thinks the default is a bit off.

Mr_Fission

I can't really speak about the event from a narrative perspective.  But mechanically, I learned to make the most out of them.  At a worst case scenario, you have to feed their inert body for a while.  But in return, you get to strip them for clothing, and plus you can sell them at a nearby city for 1000 silver or so, or trade them to the tribute collector for 3 honor.  Not a bad return for a little bit of nutrient paste.  And even if you don't have cryptosleep caskets yet, regardless of their skillset, you can use them as an extra hauler until the tribute collector comes.

LakeWobegon

The last time that I had that wonderful event I just put the dude on a cargo pod and offered him/her as a gift. Forcing a colonist/animal down the players throat has always been annoying for me but now they took it to the next level. If the player could decide if he/she wants the colonists (abasia or wonderer that wants to join) it would go a long way to make these events interesting and fun. 20 chickens self tamed, time to hit that slaughter button 20 times. So incredibly fun. I guess it makes sense as games are supposed to be annoying.

Edit: I often am forced to watch space refugees bleed out becasue I dont like their traits. If I had a saying wrt joining or not joining my faction I would love to rescue them to roleplay a bit. As it it stands go ahead and bleed out.  I am also forced to watch colonists belonging to other factions die because they arrived naked or with extremely poor clothes not suited for the environment. Even if I rescue them they wont be able to leave the map alive becasue I cant offer them a parka nor can I load them onto a cargo pod to deliver them to their faction.  So I am conditioned to watch them all die.  Seems good.

ShadowTani

The new refugee event allows us to accept or decline a pawn that wants to join us; thus the older events should ideally been updated to apply the same logic of mutual consent, lol.

Honestly, random joins for both pawn and animal should be replaced. For example instead of a random local animal decides to join you, a better event would have a local animal grow friendlier and easier to tame, making it possible to tame them in one attempt. Similarly instead of "a flock of sheep that is used to human contact randomly joins your colony" event there should instead be "a flock of sheep that is used to human contact have entered your area, it seems they could be easily tamed" event. Yeah, it means the player have to work slightly more for it if they have to do one taming attempt per animals they actually want, but it should be an overall improved experience I think. It's a reason why I enjoy the wild human event more than the random wanderer joins event.

I also wish Ludeon made a Psychology update/DLC for Rimworld, if we could have colonists change/lose/gain traits through psychology treatments it would be easier to accept some people even if the outcome of such treatments couldn't be controlled. As long as the outcome was random and took time and skill, then it should be plenty balanced. Yeah, I know Tynan wants negative traits to spice up a colony, but the reality is that a pawn will need rarely high passions if they aren't to be dismissed, sold, or killed by most players when they have poor traits/backgrounds. If the traits wasn't a permanent deal then people would be more willing to deal with those traits for some time, that way some players might actually learn to appreciate or work around some of the poorer traits. But that's just my opinion, lol.