With the Reforged flop I expected a new Rimworld experience

Started by rancidmustard, August 31, 2020, 04:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rancidmustard

I may be lost here, grandeur wise, but I would love to see Rimworld become the new custom game hub. It'd take a map editor program inside or outside of Rimworld where people can customize a map & pawn layout (equipment, etc as well), alongside a way to macro pathing for particular assets and tweak values all over the board. I've been racking my brain all day about ways to use existing mods to create a PvP gamemode within Rimworld... and I always get stuck on having to learn to code my own mods for anything of the sort to work, as I'm sure most do.

It worked with WC3, I think it'd work great with Rimworld! if there were dedicated servers and a way for players to easily & efficiently make game modes (people can do A LOT with a little, all of human history is a testament to that) I think there'd be an explosion in the player base from word of mouth alone, and the game would really fill a thirst in the gaming market which has long to be quenched! But I understand some companies don't want to grow too large.

It would just be extremely cool to be able to make game modes at least, even without the online. I love the game, thanks for reading!

ShadowTani

It would been better with a topic headline that reflected what you actually wanted to suggest: "A mod framework for adding new gamemodes more easily", or something like that. ;3

That aside, Rimworld already have a pretty solid framework for modding, but the framework is essentially restricted to a singleplayer experience because that's what vanilla is designed around. So even if Ludeon went out of their way and refactored the modding framework you would probably still not ever see the modability I get the feeling you're looking for simply because creating a framework that will make it easier to mod in multiplayer gamemodes (PvP, coop etc.) would require vanilla to be coded to the point of having some multiplayer options itself. Any modding framework are just branches on a tree, so if you're asking for branches that go higher than what the tree itself goes it's pretty much the same as asking for the tree to grow (e.g. to add multiplayer).

rancidmustard

tmo97

I've sent you a PM related to this, which is personal advice straight from my heart - I apologize if it is a little close to home.

Accessibility and modding are separated by a vague line; one leads into the other.
Similarly, a modification may be defined as a game option that is perceived as missing.
In other words, semantics form the basics of the coding language - punctual and precise.
It is quite apt that nobody here could understand your suggestion.....

rancidmustard

Nobody here can understand english? wtf are you whining about? You're trying to argue that modding is relevant to accessibility? cool? you just gotta win something?

rancidmustard

WC3 Custom Games, but Rimworld, y'all acting like I'm submitting some formal request to be added to the game, simmer down.