Custom difficulty and the "Colonist instant kills" modifier

Started by sadpickle, September 04, 2020, 02:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sadpickle

So I am curious how this works and I just want to confirm if I am correct in my reasoning. It's set to 100% for all the difficulties so I assume what this means is, if a hit were to kill instantly (headshots for example), there is 100% chance it will. If I change it to 50% there is only a 50% chance the pawn will actually get killed instantly and will instead survive the hit with major damage. Is that correct? And if not what does this setting do? Thanks.

AileTheAlien

I think what it means is that any attack that would kill the pawn, regardless of location, rolls an extra chance to keep them alive. For example, if you set it to 0%, then have a pawn with a minigun attack another pawn of yours (because you're too lazy to hit the Banish button), that other pawn will take dozens of bullets while downed, and at 0.1% health - because the game won't let them die! So I think that means that the game is really swingy with it's dice-rolls in the combat calculations, or it just feels that way, enough that they added this setting. :)

RicRider

Quote from: AileTheAlien on September 05, 2020, 07:45:19 AM
[...] the game is really swingy with it's dice-rolls in the combat calculations, or it feels that way, enough that they added this setting. :)

Definitely swingy! I'm playing with the mortar accuracy mod and a guy incapable of intellectual is manning the enemy mortar. Despite that, he rolled 20 on a d20 twice in a row and managed to drop a shell on my artist eating his lunch. I laughed and then I cried.
##Coding Scrub##