Permit: call surgeon

Started by AileTheAlien, September 06, 2020, 10:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AileTheAlien

I think it'd be pretty useful, to be able to call a surgeon to your colony, in cases where you don't have anyone with a good medical skill, but you have a royal pawn. For those times when you desperately need to install a new lung!

khun_poo

Canute

If a pawn could call in Royal aid troops, he maybe should have the option to call a Empire EMS droids.
The droid got a limited lifetime of days and then vanish.
That would be useful after raids too, if your main doctor is downed.

RawCode

will eliminate entire point of training your own medic.

Alenerel

Quote from: RawCode on September 12, 2020, 07:23:38 AM

You can say that of literally any permit lol

I partially agree about the surgeon call, but isnt it almost the same as having a glitterworld med drop? The main difference is that you would have someone to tend while everyone is bleeding

Canute

Nothing should be free. So you either need to spend a few tousand silver or at last 25 relations to call an empire doctor for a week. And he will arrive with drop pod.
Ofcouse the doctor is pacifist with a full archotech body and he only could do dcotor jobs.

A lowtech variant would be to call a tribe shaman.
But he will demand some special payment like 100 ambrosia or a animal. Since he is a tribe he will arrive next day with farskip.

RawCode

Quote from: Alenerel on September 12, 2020, 06:52:16 PM

I partially agree about the surgeon call, but isnt it almost the same as having a glitterworld med drop? The main difference is that you would have someone to tend while everyone is bleeding

why extra steps, have med drones deployed that directly tend every colonist and leave.

Rimworld closer and closer to "fate points" and all recent features are designed to change events that already set in stone.

AileTheAlien

Quote from: Alenerel on September 12, 2020, 06:52:16 PM
This is especially true for the soldier permits. You don't need to keep an entire colony of well-trained marksmen, if you can call in soldiers from the empire. You just one person for hunting, and even that is optional with a field of corn.

Quote from: Alenerel on September 12, 2020, 06:52:16 PMisnt it almost the same as having a glitterworld med drop? The main difference is that you would have someone to tend while everyone is bleeding
At least your permit-using pawn would need to be up and walking, to use the permit, so it's not gaining you much in the way of emergency-use compared to just having your own doctor, and keeping them alive. I wouldn't compare it against glitter-meds, since it would actually be stackable with a glitter-med drop - get the meds first, then call in the doctor. Or use them separately - consider it like the different soldier drops, which can be called in any combination or separately. If any permit should be scrutinized for being too redundant it's the silver-drop, since everything else can be traded in addition to its original function, but silver is only good for trading.

Quote from: Canute on September 13, 2020, 02:54:02 AM
Nothing should be free. So you either need to spend a few tousand silver or at last 25 relations to call an empire doctor for a week. [...] Ofcouse the doctor is pacifist with a full archotech body and he only could do dcotor jobs.
I don't see why this specific permit should have a minimum cost, when others do not. You can actually gain wealth and items with the other permits, directly, or by using them in attacks on forts, but this permit only saves you som dice-rolls on who you have managed to recruit to your colony. As for the time - a week seems a bit much; 12 hours would be more than enough time to perform some surgery, but I think it should be timed for one or two surgeries at most, not many of them.

It might be nice to have the surgeon include archotech implants, but a body full of them would be too easily abused. Just have your own surgeon, call in a cyber-surgeon from the empire, then harvest everything. Even if the empire immediately became hostile, that would still be too much value to harvest from the implants. One or two eyes or hands might be a nice way to incentivise the player making a risky choice, but a full body would be a bit much.

Canute

Just add a orbital strike mechanic's when the empire become's -100 hostile (basicly they just need to release their scrap from orbit). Then people would think twice about made them hostile ! :-)
But the relation ping-pong abuse is an old discussion.

Alenerel

Quote from: Canute on September 14, 2020, 03:22:44 AM
Just add a orbital strike mechanic's when the empire become's -100 hostile (basicly they just need to release their scrap from orbit). Then people would think twice about made them hostile ! :-)
But the relation ping-pong abuse is an old discussion.

I can already see it:
- Player at the start of the game accepts the rebel mission, having to kill 1 pawn
- Player immediately gets obliterated by an orbital strike