Rimworld on GOG (Galaxy of Games) not STEAM

Started by Ortholad, August 11, 2020, 01:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ortholad

So, Ludeon and GOG have broken my heart (again). EPIC 1000 hour permadeth Royalty "naked and afraid" campaign destroyed by GOG core upgrade/deletion of all royalty features overnight. In a few weeks GOG will probably get Royalty upgraded, but my save file is now jacked and I can't get back to old version with old save file since I opened it with permadeth on and there's no "going back". Why don't software designers have a "upgrade
later to protect current game" options...sigh. I may not be able to play this game anymore, which has been a sanity saver during the pandemic.

AileTheAlien

Dude, how do you even have a game last that long? All my games end after like...30 hours maximum, if I'm playing on easy. :O

Bozobub

GoG Galaxy lets you *turn off* autoupdates, for specific/single or all games.

Notably, RW has no actual DRM, and will run just fine from any folder.   Next time, *back up your RW folder*; if an update breaks a save, you can simply use the backup.
Thanks, belgord!

Ortholad

It's a challenge for both players and designers; make a computer game bullet proof enough that you don't need to be very computer literate. I'm a 60-year-old board gamer who has enjoyed RW enough to put way-too-many hours into it (and apparently gotten good enough to keep a campaign going for quite a while...) I'm sure I shot myself in the foot with this upgrade without backing up the folder (what is DRM  by the way?) and somehow deleting the Royalty content as it said that it might not work with the core upgrade. I lost all the contents of my throneroom, my current hosting quest quests vaporized, and my titles and privledges disappeared as if they never existed. Interestingly, the shuttle appeared to pick up the guests on time and still sits there un-touchable...as is the one I just finished hosting some royal's snow-hares. I loaded them up and pressed send and the contents disappeared without any reward and now a second phantom shuttle on my map. I hope I can hide behind it but I doubt it...

Canute

Maybe you should differ Rimworld game from GOG/Steam update/install service both are different things.
And i don't know why GoG shouldn't update Royalty too, all other services (Steam,Sendowl) allways update Rimworld and Royalty at the same time. So you should realy blame GoG galaxy, or maybe look at the manual GOG download if you can get roylaty there.

Murphy13

Heh. For once, someone complains about GoG updating, rather than about GoG not updating. I mean, version 1.2.2723 went live five days ago, but it's still not on GoG.

Ortholad

So, I'm back to Rimworld while the smoke keeps me inside for a week. I threw out the broken campaign  and started a new one in 1.2. Now, game start gives me a "bug log" for the Royalty expansion, starting with the correct 1.2 game id. and the first opportunity to gain Royal Favor did nothing (my slave just left with the tax collector and nothing else). Looking into my folder, the DATA folder has three subfolders; Rimworld (dated 9/5/2020), Royalty (dated 5/20/2020 when bought and loaded from Ludeon) and a Put official updates here folder which is empty. The implication from Ludeon is that the 1.2 update includes data for both core and royalty, but there is no separate folders? GOG has none for royalty as they don't support it. Deleting the Royalty folder removes royalty from the game...what the hell am I missing here?

Canute

3 subfolder ?
It only should have 2  Core and Royalty.
You bought Rimworld from GoG  and Royalty from Ludeon (it is on GoG too) ?
Install Rimworld from GoG, check version you got and install the proper Royalty version too.
Both should have the same release, it don't work when you install a new Royalty over and older Rimworld. If GoG didn't update Rimworld yet, you need to wait for it.

Ortholad

Status update: Either because of this posting (unlikely) or because it just took awhile, I got a "Sendowl" link (which is how I got the Royalty expansion direct from Ludeon in April) which was an integrated Core 1.2 and an updated Royalty data file in one. Deleted the old, installed the new and Viola!, no more bugginess! Also, no more "bug log" popup on startup as before, and My first honor award made a psycasting subscreen which never did come up in the original...not sure if this is from the update or it was never working right in the first place. Thanks for all your help guys.

Canute