I don't want my colonist to 24/7 wear armour.

Started by khun_poo, September 22, 2020, 06:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khun_poo

Most of the overpriced armour is take tooooooo long to change into. Not to mention a micro-manage chore. So, usually most of my colonist wear their ready to war 24/7 even on their wedding day or have fun on bed.

Not only it slow them down plus ugly like hell, they also degrade overtime!

I suggest that apparel change speed should be improve. Right now i use a mod that instant change apparel to make a work around but feel like cheating. With a mod on, I tried make and apparel assign for casual and to-arm when the raid come.

The list is separate into

Casual Wear - Any comfortable / social impact in the dresser room. Because the colonist are civilized. Formal shirt, cape and top/lady hat also allow.

Royal Asshole - They don't wear what plebeian wear. Well they are fashionista on this barbaric plain. Can't argue with them. Add coronet and crown to the list.

Melee combatants - Our bullet sponge, guard and linebacker. Wear the most heavyweight plate they can find for the glory of the colony. Stand face to face with every threat Randy throw at them when he feel bored.

Gunner - An extra layer of defend that not hinder their movement. No shield belt is allow. This category is not really important. However, the colony's doctor make a lot of complain about their idiot friendly fire tendency increase their workload.

Psycastor Yup. Cybernatic wizard you found anywhere on the street. No protection at all, cannot be self produce and pricey like an entire Thrumbo herd.

If I don't use a mod. Every time the raider alive on the horizon, be it sapper or siege. They will make their way to the colony bedroom or treasury before the colonist finish changing their cloth which is a problem. Oh! drop pod raid is always game ender to them anyway so i will not count them as a threat lol.

In conclusion, 24/7 armor from head to toe is the only way to survive on Rimworld. In my opinion, this is weird because the game have so many apparel to wear in vanilla and countless with a mod combine. But changing system make it all useless because of changing time.  Might be a selfish of me to suggestion but what do you think?
:)

Edit: Oh my god. type on iphone is like a challenge.

Eichkater

I agree on many points. Vanilla Rimworld does have an issue with quickly switching between pawn roles and because of certain raid modes (droppots, infestations) it is a real hassle. You basicially have to decide to either have slow, but protected pawns or have squishy ones. The outfit policies are not made for quickly changing apparel so you have to do anything by hand. What a mess!

The same applies to tools/weapons. Why would you not be able to have a gun on your back and a pickaxe in your hand? Well, I understand the rock/paper/scissor principle of the game but when playing Vanilla it's ridicilous to constantly ask your pawns to equip a pickaxe when digging and a gun when shooting....

The only mod that I know of that kind of balances this out is armor racks. I would never ever ever ever play a match with more than 5 colonists without it.

khun_poo

Quote from: Eichkater on September 22, 2020, 07:46:20 AM
The only mod that I know of that kind of balances this out is armor racks. I would never ever ever ever play a match with more than 5 colonists without it.

Wooooo! This is the mod i looking for. You are a God sent!

Feyda

The whole point of recon armor was that it was a nice balance between protection (100%) sharp armor and movement (no reduction in movement).  Now you have an even BETTER version with locust armor.  Revenge of the 12 pig herd?  Draft the pawn and bounce to freedom.  Drop pod raid caught your guy in the open?  Booooing hes freee!  Manhunter pack on the board and you want to have fun killing them?  12 colonists with guns and locust armor on and they can jump as a group.

Yes your armor will decay over time but it should last a couple of years at the least.  Quality also slows down the decay rate.  In my colonies I just set a bill for crafting Locust armor and set it do "Do Until You Have X" where it looks to have at least X number of suits over 52% hitpoints.  My clothing assignment forces colonists to change out of their old armor when it hits 50%.

khun_poo

Quote from: Feyda on September 22, 2020, 03:00:50 PM
The whole point of recon armor was that it was a nice balance between protection (100%) sharp armor and movement (no reduction in movement).  Now you have an even BETTER version with locust armor.  Revenge of the 12 pig herd?  Draft the pawn and bounce to freedom.  Drop pod raid caught your guy in the open?  Booooing hes freee!  Manhunter pack on the board and you want to have fun killing them?  12 colonists with guns and locust armor on and they can jump as a group.

Yes your armor will decay over time but it should last a couple of years at the least.  Quality also slows down the decay rate.  In my colonies I just set a bill for crafting Locust armor and set it do "Do Until You Have X" where it looks to have at least X number of suits over 52% hitpoints.  My clothing assignment forces colonists to change out of their old armor when it hits 50%.

Thank you for sharing info :D

I got your point. Still, I'm against that colonist should wear their armor 24/7. There are so many apparel choice to wear in this game. However, in my opinion of reason for choosing colonist apparel is for protection, next is insulation, movement, Psychic sensitivity and social impact respectively. I just feel weird that colonist wear full suit of recon armor into the wedding lol.

LakeWobegon

Not wearing armour 24/7 will really hurt with pods to the centre of the base. The last thing you wanna have to worry with is armour and guns. IMO they always need to be ready for battle. My point is that there is a huge opportunity cost already in place so lower times to wear armour might actually place an interesting choice.  I suspect that at least for me, even with lowered times for wearing armour the opportunity cost would probably still be too gr8 and they would wear it all the time.

Feyda

I usually have a few non combat pawns that get to play "dress up".  My last colony I decided that my non fighters would wear capes and berets.  They cost more work to make than dusters and cowboy hats but I enjoyed the look.

Jibbles

I dislike having to always wear armor too.  Apparel equip delay isn't the problem IMO.  It's not practical to switch before/after raids even with equip delay off unless it's small colony or bases with heavy defense.

Would love to know if there is a mod available that lets pawns instantly switch to armor the moment you press draft and back to normal clothing when doing everyday tasks.

Lexa

Quote from: Jibbles on September 24, 2020, 05:49:58 PMWould love to know if there is a mod available that lets pawns instantly switch to armor the moment you press draft and back to normal clothing when doing everyday tasks.

Change dresser does that.