Need help figuring out why game keeps crashing every 1 to 10 mins

Started by Lolokalbo, September 23, 2020, 09:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lolokalbo

Hi, I played rimworld many years ago and quit, and only recently decided to play again along with the new royalty dlc. Previously I played on laptop and there was never a problem. I now have a good desktop (Ryzen 3600 with Sapphire pulse 5700xt), but Rimworld keeps crashing every 1 to 10 minutes. I have uninstalled Rimworld, deleted folders, unsubscribed to all mods, reinstalled Rimworld, and verified files. Created a new colony, used the scenario editor to give my colonists some stuff and started playing. Within a minute it crashed. I'm attaching the crash logs.

I have updated motherboard bios, gpu drivers (using DDU and AMD cleanup utility), windows 10. Just using xmp, stock settings on all, no overclocking. I don't play a lot of games, but triple A titles like Witcher 3, Three Kingdoms, Hades, Battlebrothers, Grim dawn don't give me crashes in hundreds of hours playing. I'm using 3440 x 1440p ultrawide monitor if that matters.

I hope somebody can spot something here. Thanks!

Grax

Same fck, but without any suspicious log entries.
Desktop i4770+gtx760, laptop ryzen3+vega.

And that nomusic bug.

Canute

It is one of these unity error's which arn't resolved so far.
This happen not only with Rimworld, other games that use unity as well.
When you search the web for
"UnityPlayer.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)"
you will find serveral enties but no solution.

Lolokalbo

So I've been looking through this unity bug and going through the suggested actions. I've used windows memory diagnostics - no problem. Quick prime95 and Hidden Valley tests for cpu and gpu respectively - no problem. Turned off Windows Defender anti virus - still getting the unity errors.

Lolokalbo

Used SFC /scannow in cmd to verify windows 10 files. No corrupted files.
Deleted UnityPlayer.dll then used steam verify integrity to reinstall it.
Uninstalled C++ redistributables and reinstalled.
Turned off vsync all the time in adrenalin 2020
Still having the crashes

Lolokalbo

This guy seemed to have solved this problem in another game by creating a dual boot windows 7/windows 10 and using an old version of windows 7. I don't know yet how to do this.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/666140/discussions/1/1627412171703908785/

Canute

I read that too.
But a few msg. later he mention he got crashes again after Win7 updates.
So i didn't say anything about it.
Not to speak you would need a Win7 version or at last a key for Win 7.
If you don't use Win 10 Prof or better, you can setup a virtual mashine with Win7 which is maybe easier then a dual boot. Win 10 Home don't got that option.

Lolokalbo

The crashes seemed to have resolved themselves. So far no rimworld crashes in 2 days, when previously it was crashing every 5 minutes. I'm not sure what happened, my guess was either of two things. First, the steam app had an update (not a rimworld update). Upon opening rimworld after the steam update, it immediately crashed. Then next, I went into MSI bios (b450 pro carbon) and turned on "Game Boost" which was default off. After restarting and testing, rimworld was stable even with 100+ mods.

So either the steam update required a pc restart to fix the crash, or overclocking my system memory with "Game Boost" made the game stable (???).

Lolokalbo

Regarding my system memory, I had tried dozens of combinations of default, xmp, ryzen master overclock, used dram calculator to overclock in bios; all manner of 5700xt default, automatic, manual overclock, undervolt, etc, all didn't resolve the rimworld crashes. Other games that are more gpu dependent also weren't crashing.