3 Years in the Wasteland

Started by kclace, July 17, 2020, 10:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kclace

3 Years in the Wasteland
Custom Scenario: Escaped Convicts
Mods: Vanilla Biomes Regrowth, Wasteland, Faction Control (All factions hostile tribes), and Go Explore. Played on strive to survive with some parts amped up to blood and dust. Story narrated by Randy Random.

This story is about a man named Max. If he were the sort of man to keep tabs on things, this would be his stats.
[Will insert later]

Max was sentenced to serve 100 years in a maximum security cryo-sleep prison on an urbworld for the crime of arson. But before he could finish his sentence, a nuclear war blew everything up. So he ended up sleeping way longer. About a 1000 years later, the crypto sleep casket's power system finally gave out and all the prisoners all woke up.

The mechanoid guards killed most of them, but Max and a few other prisoners escaped. They found themselves in an unforgiving wasteland.

But Max was able to build a home for himself with two other prisoners. He married a female prisoner named Neka and for a while he was a happy man.

That ended when Neka was stabbed to death by a savage tribesman. The other prisoner was eaten by a warg. In despair, Max, set his home on fire, and then set about wandering in sadness. He collapsed under the withering toxic rain and was on the verge of death, but his story didn't end there. The man in black came, and saved him.

Then Max and the Man in Black went out into the wastelands to search for salvage. But on the way to a stash of goodies, the Man in Black caught the plague and died. Max took his flak jacket and kept moving.

When Max reached the stash of goodies he was ambushed and stabbed by a tribesman. Max killed him with his revolver, but was injured in the process. Since Max couldn't tend to himself, this was a problem. But Max looted a mastercrafted auto shotgun from a burned out police station and kept moving.

Max lost a fair amount of blood, and collapsed for a while, but the wounds healed on their own without tending. When he got back to his home, he found that a wanderer named Pepper had joined. Max was reluctant to let her join. After losing Neka, he didn't want to build a community or anything else. But he needed someone to patch him up when he got wounded, so Pepper was allowed to join.

The next two years were less eventful. (Probably because someone else was story teller, not me!) Max and Pepper fortified their encampment, surrounding it with walls. This helped keep the wargs out. Others joined the community. Some were wild men that had lost their minds in the wasteland, others were escaped prisoners from the prison, and still others were lone tribesmen. The community was never more than six, but for the wastelands, that was a big group.

But the wasteland could never produce enough food. Each year, when food was about to run out, Max would exile some community members, so that there would be enough food. The first year he exiled two colonists, the next year he had to exile four colonists. Some of the exiled joined the savage tribes while others were enslaved. But whenever a colonist was captured, Max would always come back and rescue them, as soon as he had enough food.

But Pepper never left. She reminded Max of Neka and Max sought a new relationship. But Pepper was never attracted to Max and so the lone wanderer remained alone.
At the end of the third year, I decided to spice things up. I sent five tribals their way (Five tribals vs three colonists), but Max killed them all. He was getting good at killing. I was proud of him. But I didn't want him to get too comfortable. So that's when I sent in the toxic fall out. So Max had toxic rain and toxic fall out to deal with. So the colonists tried to harvest their potatoe crop, but befotre they could get it all carted away into storage, the toxic fall and rain killed most of it off. So Max was faced with starvation again.

So they finally decided to leave the wastelands. One colonist died from fall out while trying to stage the caravan. That left just three colonists, Max, Pepper, and a young exiled Imperial researcher named Escher that had wandered into the encampment and joined up a few days before.

Out on the road, Max asked Pepper to start a relationship one more time (it was the 5th time he had asked), and again Pepper refused. So Max decided it was time for them to go their separate ways. Pepper was banished for good.

So Max and Escher walked for nine days and left the wasteland. They arrived in a forest, Max looked around and it seemed like a nice place to start a new life. Max wanted to be alone, but he needed Esther to patch him up. He looked back at the wasteland he had just left and wondered and if he was destined to go back and wander the wasteland forever...

Screenshots

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2169413368

kclace

The last year...

Randy walks back in after his smoke break so he can finish telling the story...

Randy Random: That wasn't the end of the story. No sir. After giving up on rebuilding civilization and leaving the wasteland, Max decided to walk half way across the planet and leave in an interstellar space ship. The journey involved traversing temperate forests and a swamp. The last stretch of the journey involved going back into the wastelands on the other side of the planet, where the ship was located.

Esther was killed by a wild panther within the first few days, but Max could travel much quicker on his own. He didn't remain alone for long though.

Soon he was joined by Jack, a former sherrif that had managed to reach a shelter and get into a cryptosleep casket right before the nuclear bombs went offf. A former cop and a former criminal, not a bad team right? It gets better though.

Pepper sent Max a distress signal. She had been captured by cannibalistic tribesmen. Max rescued her, but she still wouldn't sleep with him.

Then a former tribesmen that had turned wild wandered into their camp. Pepper tamed him, and then discovered it was Lucher, her husband! That's rich ain't it?

So the group made it all the way to the ship. But they were running out of food again. So they mounted an all assault on the local insect hive. The insects swarmed across the river, and Max lit em up with his chain shot gun, killing two megascarabs single handedly. They won the battle, and would have enough food from insect meat to maybe get by for a while, but Max was pretty badly injured.

Now he's got two infections. Will this be the end for the great wasteland wanderer?  Tune in next time, same bat time, same bat channel!

kclace

The End of the Road

As Max lay dying in a hovel right outside a long dormant interstellar spaceship, he reflected back on the events of his life.

He had lived out his life on the former urbworld of Burnham. He was a loser. Born into a troubled broken home, he was told that he had psychological problems and that nothing was his fault. When they tried to fix him, be burnt down the psych ward. So the authorities did the reasonable thing, sentence him to 100 years of cryptosleep. The thinking was that Burnham would have the technology to fix whatever was broken in him within a 100 years. It was also a heavy punishment.

While asleep, war broke out. The big bombs dropped, and the world came to an end. 100 years turned into a 1000. Then when the cyrptosleep's power finally gave out, he awoke to a world of horrors.

In the new world, Max had become a hero. He had loved, and lost. Gained a wife, and lost a wife, saved few decent people, and lost a few friends as well. But through it all he had endured. Just him and his chain shotgun.

Now it had all come down to this. He had led a group of survivors all the away across the planet to an interstellar space ship. One was a woman named Pepper. She was a woman that meant a lot to him. He had always desired her as a new wife. Pepper wouldn't go along with it. She was already married. But that was ok. He had gotten her to the ship and knowing that she would be leaving shortly would be worth while.

Pepper knelt down next to Max's sleeping sack. She looked at his wounds and frowned.

Pepper: Your wound's don't look good Max. So we're going to put you in one of the ship's cryptosleep caskets. We'll head for a glitterworld and they can patch you up when we get there.

Max shook his head. "I'm not leaving Pepper. This world is my home. Besides, my wounds are fine." Max weakly pulled himself to his feel and steadied himself.

Pepper frowned: What are you talking about? We walked half way across the planet to get here. This world is a ruin. It's nothing but wasteland and cannibals. How could you say that you're staying?

Max grinned a little bit. "I'm too broken for a glitterworld. But this is a rimworld now, and it's right where I belong. The rest of you should leave. Find a better life for yourself out there. You deserve that."

Pepper: Max please sit down, you're scaring me.

Max shook his head as he started to limp off toward the door. Pepper couldnt find the courage to stop him.

The next day, they found Max's body next to a toxic waste barrel laying down looking up into the sky. It looked like he had just lay down near the barrel and went to sleep, knowing that the barrel's poison would quickly kill him.

The survivors buried him right next to the ship. Max had  gone to sleep the first time a loser. But the second time, a hero.

RIP Max!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2186180218

torydolan

kclace

Thanks man. This was probably one of the most memorable and tragic rimworld playthroughs I have had.

Regrowth Biomes of the Rim Wastelands is a serious challenge!