Your Ideal Start

Started by DeltaV, August 11, 2014, 11:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaV

What three colonists would, in your opinion, constitute your perfect start?

Personally, I like to have one person who is good with cooking, social and (preferably) research, someone who is good at all-around labor (Medieval slave + colony settler is great) and someone who is great at growing and/or mining. Weapons skills preferred on at least one of them.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Damien Hart

Two centipedes and a scyther would be great.  ;D

HatesYourFace

Colonist, the 1st: A really good miner. (I like to tunnel, also they usually aren't half bad constructors.)
Colonist, the 2nd: High social skill, but not an empath. (For converting captured prisoners early game to grow your colony.)
Colonist, the 3rd: A shooter. (Other skills are a plus, but not required)

I tend to avoid Colonists who are unable to do a lot of tasks as early game when you only have 3 Pawns, this can be very taxing and aggravating. Same goes for an inability to shoot, that's a big no-no when you only have a 3 man squad, 3 shooting skill is the minimum for me on a starting colonist. You don't really need a research guy straight off the bat imo as by the time you get a Research Table going and get into the harder stuff you'll have captured some pirates and seen a few slave ships pass by so unless you get really unlucky you'll end up with some kind of empath or doctor/scientist.

Quote from: Damien Hart on August 11, 2014, 11:27:24 AM
Two centipedes and a scyther would be great.  ;D

Lol, Would be the best colonists ever, they don't eat, sleep, or suffer psychotic episodes lol!
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

BetaSpectre

For all 3

High Construction
High Mining
Able to do any job
some growing

-
Social isn't too important.
Slaves are common what is needed are trade goods, usually food at first, then weapons, then the game breaks from lag.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Psyckosama

People have already mentioned the colonist setup... for me add on a steam vent located right up next to a massive cliff face with room to dig into.

I like to build deep into mountains. Normally I'd like to have an entrance passage at least 10 squires long, well into the deep rock.

Helps make mortar attacks during sieges more annoying than dangerous.

Rahjital

Colonist #1 - Major passion in construction
Colonist #2 - Major passion in mining
Colonist #3 - Major passion in cooking

It doesn't matter how high the skills are, only if they have a burning passion in them. Colonists #2 or #3 should also have passion in social and research. All colonists need to be able to do all jobs except wardening and doctoring. Shooting does not matter all that much if all have at least 3, although a good colonist can get by with less, as long as they are capable of violence.

Neurotoxin

I've been trying to not optimize my colonists lately. My Only prerequisites are

Is not incapable of anything.
Has at least 1 major passion that isn't artistic.
Have at least one of each gender.

Calistyn

I tend not to care much what their skills are, except for one thing: they cannot be incapable of dumb labor. I flat out refuse to deal with someone who can't be bothered to bring in food from the fields in the very beginning of the game. 

hopdevil

Grower, Cook, Social.   

More important is two thermal bung holes on the map that are close to each other.

Dr. Z

I take three people who have at least nine in ether mining, growing or reaserching. The miner an the reasercher should also be accebtable constructors and shooting skills are also preferred. Reaserchers are in general good crafters too. Social skills are a little untended by me, but you can recruit new people even with low social skills. I don't take chefs at the start because there's just to much work to have a meal production from the beginning.

And the most (I mean MOST) important thing for any colonist ether at the start or during the game is NOT TO BE FUCKING INCAPABLE OF FIREFIGHTING.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Raufgar

I personally like bases that are underground, so a good mining skill is a must for all of my First 3. Maps with low metal / low overhead mass will also get reloaded. Also, nearby steam vent as mentioned.

Also,

Quote from: Dr. Z on August 12, 2014, 05:57:30 AM
And the most (I mean MOST) important thing for any colonist ether at the start or during the game is NOT TO BE FUCKING INCAPABLE OF FIREFIGHTING.

Oh, yeah, this is a biggie alright.
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.