Plans for world map?

Started by Taboo102, August 11, 2014, 01:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taboo102

Are we eventually going to be able to traverse the whole planet? Will there be other colonies? Is there some sort of site I can go to for a roadmap of game development that goes in depth on each module?

Tynan

Traverse - no, it's not a travel game.
Other colonies - Maybe some day.
Roadmap - No, it moves too fast to keep track of. Roadmaps slow down development (at least for me).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Taboo102

So we won't be able to visit other areas of the planet?

Tynan

Quote from: Taboo102 on August 11, 2014, 07:52:06 PM
So we won't be able to visit other areas of the planet?

Never say never, but it's not on the docket.

Neurotoxin

Something similar to this, it wold be cool if, after developing a well established colony you could choose to split off a group of colonists and supplies to form a new colony/outpost and trade between the two.

Ludov

Quote from: Tynan on August 11, 2014, 01:54:34 PM
Traverse - no, it's not a travel game.
Other colonies - Maybe some day.
Roadmap - No, it moves too fast to keep track of. Roadmaps slow down development (at least for me).

I was curious though, with how developed the combat system is(with it being in real-time, with cover, firing arcs and so on) and how increasingly developed the pawns are becoming themselves(with the advent of actual gears and upgraded wounds system), could there be something akin to Dwarf Fortress' "Adventure" mode in the far future(i.e.: once everything else is developed and the game most likely on Steam)?

Basically something where one control a single character and travel all around, possibly completing potential missions for colonies(deliver packages from one colony to another, raid a pesky group of pirates or tribals and possibly recruit other similar wanderers to their bands.

I recall multiplayer was once voiced as a possibility for the game and in such an hypothetical scenario I cannot help but feel that the experiences that could be provided by the interactions between "colony" players and "wanderers" players could be most interesting. Basically by having the possibility to not only have a "Colony" and "Wanderer" modes, but players playing both in parallel. The idea of a game where "questgivers" could themselves be players has always been a thing which made me curious how it would work out.

Though this kind of things might be outside the scope of the engine even many years later into development.

Tynan

Ludov - these are really cool ideas, you're right, but they're distant enough from the state of the game today that there's not that much value in thinking too hard about them IMO. They're fun to fantasize about, but there is a lot more to do in achieving the present goals of the game before we start biting off other goals.

Maybe for a sequel!

Dr. Z

Quote from: Taboo102 on August 11, 2014, 01:40:38 PM
Is there some sort of site I can go to for a roadmap of game development that goes in depth on each module?

You can follow the changelog. It's sticky in the general discusson and gets updated frequently.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Ludov

Quote from: Tynan on August 11, 2014, 09:42:50 PM
Ludov - these are really cool ideas, you're right, but they're distant enough from the state of the game today that there's not that much value in thinking too hard about them IMO. They're fun to fantasize about, but there is a lot more to do in achieving the present goals of the game before we start biting off other goals.

Maybe for a sequel!

Pretty good point all in all. This already said, I'm enjoying the new worldgen and features already ^^