save game broke, trying to troubleshoot

Started by kerri_riallis, October 27, 2020, 10:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerri_riallis

I had a CTD that I think might have corrupted a save of mine.  The error log gives the message:

Exception while init loading file: C:/Users/Alex/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\Saves\Northwestern Menbum (Permadeath).rws
System.Xml.XmlException: '', hexadecimal value 0x10, is an invalid character. Line 358994, position 23.

Exception from asynchronous event: System.Xml.XmlException: '', hexadecimal value 0x10, is an invalid character. Line 358994, position 23.
  at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw (System.Exception e) [0x00027] in <1d98d70bb7d8453b80c25aa561fdecd1>:0

When I opened the save with Notepad++, the line in question shows this:

<id>Plant_Grass6DLE1868</id>

With the DLE in a black square.  There are several other black squares with letters in a few places after this point, replacing what should be normal characters like brackets, numbers, letters, etc.  The ones I see are NUL, FS, SI.

Assuming that those are the corrupted points in the file, would going through and "fixing" them restore my game to functioning?  I've never tried to fix a save file like this.  I avoid modifying them for obvious reasons.

Canute

Hi,
the first error msg. show that the safegame is corrupt.
You can't recover it, because some of the date past Line 358994, position 23 isn't saved and lost.
When you look at the safegame locaction, you prolly find another file
Northwestern Menbum (Permadeath).old
which is the backup. rename the .old into .rws and you can load it.

kerri_riallis

Thanks.  I knew that was a backup, but I had been hoping to restore that save.  In any case, the .old file worked and the game is good to go now.

Canute

Take a look at the backup file.
Just check how many stuff is behind Line 358994.
Theoretical you could try to replace the lost stuff with the backup file, but you need to find the exact cut at the backup, but you still got the old map data from the backup with the current pawn data.
But no quarantee that rimworld take it.
So i just would take the backup.