How to regret purchasing this game minutes after doing so

Started by ares0027, August 11, 2014, 03:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ares0027

So, I love Prison Architect, i love gnomoria, i love factorio, and quite a few more games like that. When i first heard about this game, first thing i did was checking the videos, then downloading a "drm free" version of it, if you know what i mean, then after playing a few hours, i promised myself that i will gift this game to myself even though it is overpriced. i waited a few versions, a few months, price didnt drop, and a few minutes ago, i said, what the hell, i like the game, if it is expensive, if it is overpriced, so it is and purchased without even thinking.

Then started the regret part. First of all, website didnt ask me for any user information so i thought "it will lead me to a page to create an id where i can login and check my downloads, older/newer versions, upgrade my package etc" well, it didnt.

it gave me a stupid generic page WITH A DOWNLOAD LIMITER. it is limited, i cannot download more than 5 times. i was like "wtf?!". anyway, it made sense (in a different parallel universe) for piracy and stuff (yea it helps a lot (!)) i noticed that there were still no user control panel, so basically, if i ever forget that link, lose my mail, or something stupid like that happens bye bye game.

i thought maybe, may be, i have to create an id and enter my payment information and it will create that page (i am still naive as you can see) then i found out that there is absolutely no account creation or anything like that on the main page, but there was a forum.

some alpha games had that option, you were to create a forum account and it would connect your game/purchase information with that (damn, i cant believe i was still that naive to expect an account page) created a page, link didnt work, couldnt activate, resent activation, didnt work, tried mozilla, didnt work, copied link, didnt work, tried internet explorer (i even tried that thingy) didnt work, tried mobile, didnt work, tried iphone chrome, didnt work and iphone safari did work!

so here i am, without even playing the latest version, i regret purchasing the game. but my problem is not the game, that is the important part. game is awesome (as far as i remember) and i do not regret purchasing the game part, but the customer relations part, lack of trust (you seriously think letting a legitimate customer download the game only up to 5 times helps your piracy ratings? i am %100 sure it backfires  ;) ) no account page and even telling that on mail
QuoteIT's a good idea to bookmark the download link; it'll be yours forever and will continue to work as updates are released.
is definitely not a good idea, i am disappointed so far, again; NOT WITH THE GAME (even though i still think it is overpriced) i will now have to copy this downloaded game to every single hard drive and usb flash, including my mail just to "not run out of my downloads", your piracy fighting skills amazes me ;)

hope you can fix some of this nonsense (i know it makes sense in some other parallel universes though) and keep up the good work WITH GAME

Darkfirephoenix

...As far as I know you can download the game unlimited times. And even IF the 5 times count, you'll get them "renewed" for every new version.

Haplo

You have 5 tries to download the game per version.
And you don't need to remember the link (also it is always good to have) as you'll get a new email with the same link, whenever a new version is available.
With the new email, your download counter will be reset to 5.
So, the question stands: What is your problem?  :D

And.. If you really bring your counter to 0, you can always email Tynan and he'll reset your counter for you.

Tynan

The reason for the download limit isn't to stop piracy at all (pirates use torrents). It's to stop bandwidth abuse. Bandwidth through Amazon S3 does cost money. I won't put in DRM to fight pirates, but I'm not gonna pay for their bandwidth.

Out of 35000+ customers, only a handful run out of downloads each month, and I restore those within a few hours (as long as it takes me to check my email, which is not long). And, as noted above, download counts reset with each version.

I'm sorry we don't have a fully-integrated centralized account system with a single account for forums, payment, and creative with an email-change feature. Since I'm only one person working on this (though with a bit of help recently) I've elected to focus on making the game better instead of perfecting our Web admin process. If anyone needs their update email changed - and it does happen - they should just email me and I'll do it gladly.

I'm happy you got so many hours of enjoyment from the game. I hope you can appreciate the fact that I've chosen to focus on making a great game (and released it DRM-free), instead of spending time on perfecting an automated customer support system. But I hope you'll understand the choices I made in this regard. We'll likely upgrade this system in future.

You'll also understand that I'm confused at how extreme your regret seems to be about this. I mean, you haven't actually been harmed at all. You got the game painlessly, in minutes, and haven't had any problems with it.

As always, if you have any support needs, my email is [email protected]
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Jaxxa

I have to say that if I didn't know that it was reset each update and that Tynan to such a cool guy and I could email him to get it reset I would be rather annoyed thinking that I only had 5 downloads forever and may have reacted similarly.

I think that the regret stems from this confusion.

Would it be possible to update the email or the send owl page with something similar to what you wrote in you message above to avoid this happening again?

Tynan

Quote from: jaxxa on August 11, 2014, 11:20:01 PM
Would it be possible to update the email or the send owl page with something similar to what you wrote in you message above to avoid this happening again?

Been wanting to do it for a while, actually. It's just a matter of making time to do it (e.g. taking time away from making the game better). I may prioritize it up now though.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

RawCode

everything in our world have limits, there is speed limit on streets, there is draw limits on water and energy, limits everywhere.

individuals who enforce such limits dont want to harm you - they protect others.

it may be very fun to open 9999 TCP connections to site in order to download stuff faster, but instead you will get ban.
Site owner does not hate you, he merely protect other users who also want to view same site at same time.

StorymasterQ

The only thing that is unlimited is the amount of limits.

This is the same saying as "the only thing to fear is fear itself" and "the only constant is change".
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Bog

Quote from: ares0027 on August 11, 2014, 03:44:55 PMi promised myself that i will gift this game to myself even though it is overpriced. i waited a few versions, a few months, price didnt drop,
I don't feel that games that are in alpha should be expected to drop their prices. I've always thought that price drops are something that should start about 6-10 months after release, maybe in the holiday season. Either way, I happen to think $30 is a good deal.

I went and watched Thor: The Dark World back when it came out. Spent $12 on it and really enjoyed it. Problem is I can't go watch it again without spending more money on it, so I'm basically stuck at having enjoyed it for ~$6 an hour.

Rimworld on the other hand has given me at least 80 hours of enjoyment, (admittedly a lot of that time was spent making mods, something which not everybody enjoys) and my brother occasionally came and played it on my laptop and got probably 7 hours of enjoyment out of it so far. I can also keep playing it as often as I like. In the end that Rimworld is giving me entertainment at about .35c an hour, and it becomes a slightly better deal every time I boot it up.

Finally, because it's in alpha Rimworld is the "gift that keeps on giving". Play it unmodded for 4 hours today and tomorrow, then come back and play it a week from now and see if it isn't really different with lots of cool new things to figure out and play with.

Then when you've figured all that out, go download some mods. It'll be all new yet again.

Hope that makes you feel a little better with your purchase.  ;D
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

Pirx Danford

I am also confused by the expectation of a dropping price.
This game got kickstarted and Tynan has the funds he needs to work on the game (actually 13 times more than his original goal).

The earliest I would expect a game to drop prices is 6 or rather 12 months after release and never while in development.

Without Kickstarter an approach like Minecraft had is nice, start with a low price and raise it to the end price slowly while the game is progressing in its development.

With Rimworld one should always keep in mind that Tynan is mostly putting on a one man show and for that it is a helluva show!

Dr. Z

Interesting how you complain about problems that didn't even occur yet. Also, I wonder why you are in such a desperatly need of an account page. It's the first time I see somebody asking for this in this forum and I don't know what the real benefit should be.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Shinzy

Quote from: Dr. Z on August 12, 2014, 04:58:35 AM
Interesting how you complain about problems that didn't even occur yet. Also, I wonder why you are in such a desperatly need of an account page. It's the first time I see somebody asking for this in this forum and I don't know what the real benefit should be.

I feels a lot safer
you can log in and see the item, unlimited and at the ready and feel like you actually own it
it's the closest thing you can have of that physical game box on my shelf feeling

Feelings are beneficial, too from the customer standpoint =P
that's a one thing you should have learned by playing Rimworld *poke*

Philosopher deactivate!

But for Vulcans and other logically attuned creatures you're totally right!
The only point ...is in your ears! BOOM!

HatesYourFace

Quote from: Shinzy on August 12, 2014, 05:13:11 AM
But for Vulcans and other logically attuned creatures you're totally right!
The only point ...is in your ears! BOOM!

That joke was so lame...
: /

But I gotta admit, I laughed.
x D
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

mikeash

Back up your stuff. Then you won't have to worry about losing the game. You'll also be safe from losing stuff that's a whole lot harder to replace than a game. The great thing about not having any DRM is that you can just keep your own copy in a safe place. It would have taken you less time to save your copy of the game somewhere safe than it took to write up this post....

ApexPredator

I hate people like this… If you download content and you like it put your money down like an adult. If you think the game is too expensive then don’t download it in the first place. Who likes creating a user name and password for every game they play? Games in development don’t go down in price, if anything the alpha price should be the lowest you will see it until it has been out for a few years. Thumbs up to Tynan for giving this guy a thoughtful response.