Mechanoid raids favoured in extreme cold?

Started by Fine_art, November 09, 2020, 05:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fine_art

In one of my now destroyed polar playthroughs, I noticed that during winters and cold snaps, I always got mechanoid raids. Was that just my constant bad luck, or does the game not send human raids when it hits a certain temperature threshold?

IIRC it bottomed out at around -60°C during the middle of winter, which on paper should be survival for pirate raiders in parkas, less so for tribals.

Tribal raids were rare; getting serious hypothermia by the time they got the killbox, hah!
Psychite tea can solve a variety of problems, Except Pyschite Shortage

Canute

QuoteI noticed that during winters and cold snaps, I always got mechanoid raids
Did you notice you don't get trade caravan's at the same time ?
There is a internal check if that faction is possible to raid at these temperature and when there arn't any the Mechanoid hive knock at your door.

Fine_art

I see. I also rarely got trade caravans either. the Colony was doomed due to a lack of people and not being able to withstand the consistant robo-raids.

would it be possible to change the value for the check? Randy becomes even more unfair than usual if he only sends Mechanoids  :'(

Canute

Why you don't change your starting biome next time ? :-)
Extreme cold/hot are a challenge at many ways.
Not that you need to feed your pawn's while nothing grow outside.
Visitor's and trade caravan are rare, your own caravan's are slowed by the snow too.
Personaly i wouldn't caravan until i need to and later transport pod to the destination and farskip back.

And when your colony is doomed, it should have much wealth either so you prolly just get syther/lancer/pike raids, and they are pretty easy. Centipede are a bit difficulter, but could be handle with some micro to hide behind wall and only shoot when they move.

Fine_art

After 1500 hours I wanted a Challenge lol  ;D
I believe I had a world generation. Turns out -60 was just the early winter  temp, it peaked at -70 with cold snaps barely getting into the 90s. I did have a world generation mod installed, so I was expecting Day After Tomorrow levels of cold!

Canute

You should made survival vacation at the world coldest spot or the Neumayer-Station and try out your Rimworld expierence !
At last you won't see any mechanoids there. :-)

Fine_art

If only you could make walls and tables out of snow and ice, eh?  ;D

Wait a second...