Mod suggestion - alternative currencies [RE]

Started by Prologue, November 12, 2020, 07:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prologue

This is a re-post of my original mod suggestion, I've not yet seen any implementations of this so I'll bring it to the attention once more.

In Rimworld you can find technologies ranging from very primitive all the way to super advanced. But for some reason no one invented paper currency or blockchains yet. I feel like this needs to change!

First of all I think there should be 3 different types of currency:
Physical:  gold / silver / diamonds
Paper / fiat: Dollars / Euro's / Rimbucks
Digital / crypto: Bitcoin / Rimcoin

The main difference in these different currency types will be the weight / value ratio. The thing about Physical currency's is that they are quite heavy to carry around. Paper currency is a lot lighter so you can carry more of it. And Digital currency's have no or close to no weight restrictions.

For example: you're sending out a small trade caravan, you could perhaps take 10k+ worth in silver and gold with you but not 100k+, you could perhaps take 100k+ in paper currency, but not 10M+ while you could take (almost) any amount in digital currency with you.

The way I see digital currency's being added is by adding 'cred sticks' or 'ledger' that can be used to store your Bitcoins / Rimcoins. These would be small and lightweight items that can hold any number of value. Having more than one of these items allows you to divide your digital currency among them. These items can be traded as physical item or you can make a transaction to another similar device with the balance that is stored on them.

Now you might think while reading this that Digital currency's would be OP compared to the other options, but that does not have to be that way. One way to counter this would be to make paper and digital currency's more fragile than the physical ones, for example paper might burn away quite fast wile gold and silver are not easily affected by fire. Other risk factors could be added in, for example scenario's where your 'cred sticks' or 'ledger' device might break / gets hacked / you lose your private key, just to name some options.

Also an interesting aspect that could be added to this system is that different factions might prefer some payment methods more than others. Technologically advanced factions might prefer digital currency's more and tribal factions might prefer physical currency's more.

Prologue

Thank you for pointing out this mod. It's not the full implementation of my suggestion, but it does get me one step closer to being able to travel the Rim a bit more efficiently.