Suggestion: Mechanoid Sleeper Agents

Started by Holvr, November 21, 2020, 08:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holvr

This could be done in one of two ways:

1. Hidden character trait - Any character (except the starting ones) that joins the colony could come with a hidden status (or bodypart, if they even can be hidden) making them a Mechanoid Sleeper Agent.

2. A random event that can turn any existing character into a Mechanoid Sleeper Agent on the spot. This is the less favourable option, since it could also affect the starting characters, but it'd probably be far easier to implement.

Now, the Mechanoid Sleeper Agent (henceforth called MSA) would be a humanlike machine (think terminator infiltrators) that will reveal itself at a least opportune time (for your colony) to aid their mechanoid overlords against you (so during a sufficiently big mechanoid raid), turning against its former comrades.
In case you manage to successfully neutralize the MSA, its body will contain a whole slew of high-tier prosthetics and - on a rare occasion - a techprof subpersona core.

As a tangentially related idea, there could be an Empire Inquisitor event - one of your colonists caught an eye of the Stellarch's Inquisition, and must be put under investigation.
Even if the colonist is proven to be human, the Inquisitorial investigators - being known for their carnal methods of interrogation - will leave your colonist in a lasting pain and a resulting mood debuff, but will reimburse you for the trouble.
In case the colonist turns out to be MSA, you'll have a choice of either executing them (you get the loot mentioned in a previous paragraph) or give them away to the Empire for some royalty-related diplomatic favor. Or keep the colonist to disable their Hive Uplink (you get a heavily augumented supercolonist that's no longer MSA) and fight the Empire with all its wrath.

Canute

That remind me at the similar event from HCSK modpack.
Terminator could infiltrate you at that way, and these terminators are a strong enemy. Luckily you prolly own an own terminator which came from the future to aid you! :-)
Not to speak that dead terminator can reanimate themself, so be sure they are dead or butchered :-)

kclace

As long as dogs can sniff out infiltrators I'm game. (You always have to think of a way for players to over come the challenge).  I've been arguing for the same thing for a long time now. I figure some modder will implement eventually.

If you have ever seen the wanderer turned traitor event from Vanilla Events Expanded, that might give you modders an idea of how to code this.

zeebo76

I feel like a way to implement this would be to have a character backstory option - in the Bio tab.  It'd be only an "Adulthood" backstory, but it would be called "Spacer".

Basically, this pawn would have, in the past, been one of the people you'd find in sarcophagi in the "Ancient Danger" locations.  They got unearthed at one point.

Since there can be mechanoids in those locations, I imagine there's a chance that the entombed humans could have been fiddled with.  Given some special mechanoid tech - either made into sleeper agents or otherwise enhanced.  Someone with this backstory would have a chance of having an extreme mental break at any moment with the intent to kill anyone nearby.  When they DO break, a new entry will be present in their "Medical" tab, called "Mechanoid Gland".  Arresting/subduing this pawn and removing the gland via surgery would pacify them, removing their ability to become a mechanoid agent ever again.

Edit: I do like the idea, I just felt like there should be more of a "Rimworld-esque" twist to it, rather than it being a random chance for any pawn.  Give the player a chance to take a risk, and let them prepare for a possible outcome.