how big will the maps get?

Started by Quasarrgames, August 11, 2014, 10:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

I remember reading something a little while back about how having 1000x1000 and higher maps will  basically never happen, due to the impossibly immense optimization needed. of course the world map circumvents this with its multiple connected maps, but still, i keep wondering how big the maps will ever get.

Of course i know that someone could just hack some stuff and make a mod that adds 10000x10000 map sizes, but i don't think that would work too well. The real question is: how big will the actually playable maps get? (also as a side question, when will the game be optimized enough that we can play with ludeonicrous maps? the 400x400 map is very laggy/unplayable for me at this time) :)
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Tynan

I see little value in going beyond 400x400. Not sure what your hardware is; on my 2012 PC, 400x400 works fine.

It's not just optimizing FPS that's the problem. Bigger maps mean longer routes, to the point where we have to start adding in new AI checks to make AIs not cross vast expanses willy-nilly to go haul things, etc. You don't want people starving to insanity while they haul a meal from 400 squares away with a wounded leg, for example. And there are dozens of other places where arbitrary map sizes can cause AI systems and game balance to break down.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog