Ludeon working on another version?

Started by tejas60, November 29, 2020, 12:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tejas60

I looked around the internet and the twitter and whatnot and I don't see even a hint they are doing more updates to the game or a new version of Rimworld.

Anyone know anything? Or did Tynan just decide to take his dump truck of money and spend the rest of his life on a beach?

Bozobub

Ludeon has done a lot of hiring.  No, they are not sitting on their thumbs.

I think it's far more likely to be expansions/more DLC than "RimWorld 2".
Thanks, belgord!

Prologue

First DLC was totally unexpected, I assume they are working on DLC 2, also no clue what that will be. I hope it won't be a similar mashup of popular mods like last time though.. We already have an awesome moding community, I much rather see a bunch of improvements and features that will lift the game to new heights.

RawCode

eugeneb

Quote from: tejas60 on November 29, 2020, 12:11:04 AM
Or did Tynan just decide to take his dump truck of money and spend the rest of his life on a beach?
I mean it's Rimworld creator, I seriously doubt he is just sitting on the beach. At the very least, he is probably heading towards some distant Rimworld right for a "rich explorer" start.  ;D

On a serious note, just like the other person said - they did some hiring so I am more than sure they are working on something. My completely random guess would be it's another RW DLC. I've been super happy with their last DLC - it's true that it is similar to some mods, but having played those mods, I love RW implementation better (over Hospitality for instance, which is still amazing, and which I keep using as well).

What the new DLC could be is beyond me though. My personal wish would be for some late game content. Early and mid-game is super exciting but once you settle in, it kinds of becomes boring and I usually give up on the colony. I wish there was some long-term quest or plot unfolding to keep me challenged. Bonus points if it gives us more lore. Because the only thing that I can think of at this point that is missing is a chance for one of my pawns to save the world or something.

Prologue

I would be disappointed if the next DLC is just another mashup of popular mods again. That really would undercut the potential this game has to grow into something more epic. If they are going to do something along those lines, I hope it will at least be focused on some element of the game that needed a push either way. Such as world exploration for example, which currently feels like it's just a gimmick in the game while having the potential to push the game as a whole into a whole new dimension of game play.

eugeneb

Yeah, I partially agree about the world exploration. It kind of works in the short- and medium-term, but just like the rest of the game, it becomes stale once you progress into the late game. In the beginning you have all those quests that make you get out of the base, you have to go shop for bionic arms and legs, etc.. However, by the late game you have everything and therefore no reason to go shopping and you also notice that every quest is immediately next to your base. That rest of the planet with all its mountains, swamps, deserts, jungles, etc could as well not exist.

I think at the very least I'd love to see some reasons for me to travel far, such as a far away settlement wants to give away resurrector serum for some bionic body parts. Or a leader at some far away pirate base obtained a masterwork charge rifle (and you need to kill them cleanly too, without nuking their entire base). Or maybe some other exciting things to explore on the planet. "Go Explore!" addresses this partially but their implementation has some issues, everything is again immediately next to my colony and I just want more of that stuff anyway  ;D

kclace

He doesn't need to do anything. The MODS can make this game whatever you want to be.

Now that said, it would be cool if they expanded the mechanoids so that 1. They'd have bases and behave like other factions, including the ability to wipe them out and 2. A mechanoid ascendancy victory that involves turning your colonists into cyborgs and being evil.

I'm only saying that because no mod has really done anything close to that. I had previously asked about expanding insectoids, but Vanilla Expanded got to there first.

Alenerel

Big T has claimed in the past that he wont abandon the game, but at the same time he wants to move on to other games. My guess is that he will probably make DLC 2 and maybe DLC 3 (in the far 2-years future), and thats it. He probably will launch another game (NOT Rimworld 2) near or after DLC 3. I doubt there will be DLC 4 (and maybe even 3), but this all depends on his imagination, if he can come up with new juicy shit or not.

For what he has said I dont think there will be ever a Rimworld 2, and if there is, it will be after 20 or so years, when he looks back with all that experience in his back and says "oh shit, i can make this even better, with more blackjack and more bitches".

eugeneb

Quote from: Alenerel on December 15, 2020, 05:47:25 PM
Big T has claimed in the past that he wont abandon the game, but at the same time he wants to move on to other games. My guess is that he will probably make DLC 2 and maybe DLC 3 (in the far 2-years future), and thats it. He probably will launch another game (NOT Rimworld 2) near or after DLC 3. I doubt there will be DLC 4 (and maybe even 3), but this all depends on his imagination, if he can come up with new juicy shit or not.

For what he has said I dont think there will be ever a Rimworld 2, and if there is, it will be after 20 or so years, when he looks back with all that experience in his back and says "oh shit, i can make this even better, with more blackjack and more bitches".

All of that makes sense and I would be super curious to see what other games T will come up with. As for Rimworld 2, I honestly can't picture what it could be. Blackjack or not - if it makes sense to add that to the game, I don't see why this would call for RW 2, rather than adding it to RW 1. Generally, the only legitimate cases for sequel games I can think of are story games (Mass Effect, Skyrim, and so on) or graphics-intensive games (Doom, etc). RW doesn't fit either of those categories, it's not like they are going to make RW2, now in 3d and with ray tracing support.

kclace

And vanilla expanded just released mechanoids...

Dang. I guess they'll have to do something else for DLC now.

Canute

Rimworld Dwarfs.
A group of notorious space dwarfs crashed on Rimworld and their goal are to dig to the core and let the planet explode by creating a planetbuster bomb.
Ofcouse they create lifeboatshelters too, so their colony get spread over other the universe to demolish other plants.

kclace

Some tweaking of the quests would also be a good thing.

I.E. To have one ally or ranking up with empire should force you to risk your relationships with the other neutral factions.

For example: A quest could make you betray a neutral faction to gain honor and relationship with empire, but if you refuse your relations with the empire goes down.

publicuser