Are there any guides for making UI/HUD mods?

Started by ddbrown30, December 22, 2020, 03:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddbrown30

Question is in the title. I've done some searching and turned up nothing so far.

RawCode

check any unity guide on UI, game made on vanilla unity.

ddbrown30

That doesn't really answer my question. How do I hook that up to game data? How do I alter the existing UI?

RawCode

it's hard to imagine more generic question...

game use vanilla unity to render everything, to alter "existing" UI you make new one and render in place of original.

code injections commonly done with harmony, but you can go any route you want, including full native.

ddbrown30

Okay, if it's too generic then let me ask something ultra specific. Let's say that in the main colonist details view (by default, it has their name, background, health, age, equipment, current task, and some other stuff) I want to add the food needs bar. How, specifically, would I do that?

RawCode

Quoteyou make new one and render in place of original.

1) you open game's code with dnspy and search for "main colonist details view"
2) post your findings and questions after that.

if for some reasons you failed to get class in question, post keywords used for search and information about classes you found instead of one, you actually need.

reading unity manual on UI rendering before performing search will speedup process greatly, because you will know in advance, how UI rendering code section looks (and what unity methods are called)

ddbrown30

I'm not sure if you're trying to be unhelpful or if you're just bad at it. This pull yourself up by your own bootstraps mentality is super frustrating and is wasting both of our time.

Why not give me the name of the class directly instead of giving me a roundabout way of finding it myself (which didn't work, by the way). Or why not offer or direct me to some example code to look at? Or even a single file in the source code? Or literally anything helpful that isn't basically go find it yourself?

For the record, I have the full decompiled source code in front of me (indexed using Entrian) as well as the extracted Unity project and I still can't find what you're talking about. Also for the record, I've been making games professionally for 13 years. I'm fully capable of figuring this out on my own if someone can point me to the right place to look.

RawCode

Quoteif for some reasons you failed to get class in question, post keywords used for search and information about classes you found instead of one, you actually need.

probably this is frustrating (or ever infuriating) but highly likely, that attempt to give me keywords will result in actually finding required class, also read carefully part of my post about dnspy, if you decompiled game with something else, do as i "say" and try again.

ddbrown30

You are the most infuriating fucking person I have ever dealt with in a forum. Get fucked.