temperature

Started by Fruit loops, August 12, 2014, 09:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fruit loops

So with the addition of cloths and hats and biomes i was thinking of a new danger to colony's freezing to death and fevers/heat exhaustion So say you settled in a desert you might be better of being nude if you settled in a snow tundra biome the more cloths the better each item would have more warmth such as a duster would give off 15 heat and a shirt 10 and a jacket 40 or something like that and beanie 15 warmth and a top hat 5 or things like that their would be a new needs option such as food sleep and temperature if you were in the middle you would be good if you were right it would be hotter and the left colder there could be a option for beds such as bed: 10 wood 5 cloth warm bed: 10 wood 15 cloth so on and so on
thoughts?
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

RawCode

probably fun but majority of players will be frustrated or will play only biomes that allows his\her favorite duster made of black leather.

_alphaBeta_

I think the groundwork is being laid to support colonist reactions to climate, as well as climate control inside buildings and clothes etc. The first step was world generation that mentions temperature among other statistics. From there, climate control objects would need to be added, which may drive changes or additions to power generation. Since colonist survivability and/or work efficiency and longevity outside would be affected, I think the colonists could benefit from some additional tools to make work outside go faster. This especially applies to hauling a larger quantity faster to minimize exposure. From there, clothes generation would be essential so the player can actually create certain clothes instead of waiting for attackers or visitors to "drop" theirs in order to deal with exposure.

Avenger1001

Alphabeta check out my textiles post- it develops on this idea!

TL_ARMY

Well, i agree but maybe bit easier: HOT GAS POCKETS IN ROCK! Like you discover a new area and you might find a hot gas pocket, burning miner.

kingtyris

I would love to see this. I like the idea of arid or frigid biomes necessitating different methods of heating or cooling your living space. And tying the decay speed of food items to the temperature, so that I can make a climate control cooled room and use it as a refrigerator!

Involved

I like the idea of temperature affecting mood and health/diseases. Having heaters and fans and freezers would work well. I'm unsure about clothes though. I'd like a mood penalty for leaving a cool/warm base to go mine outside, in desert or ice. The mechanic could be about a circular range emanating from the radiators etc, much like Theme Hospital worked. And an option to increase the range by using more power would be nice. Powercuts would be so scary if your colonists would then start to freeze to death!
Thank you Tynan for creating a game of my dreams. Let's all help make Rimworld the best it can be!

stefanstr

I would love to see this. Any additional challenge that doesn't involve a zerg of tribals gets my vote.

BTW. If this gets included, I think the game shouldn't start in January anymore. Preparing for winter would be one of the primary goals (as it is in Don't Starve and Banished, for example, and it is a lot of fun).

Involved

Quote from: stefanstr link=topic=5368.msg60422#msg60422 date
BTW. If this gets included, I think the game shouldn't start in January anymore. Preparing for winter would be one of the primary goals (as it is in Don't Starve and Banished, for example, and it is a lot of fun).

I'd prefer the date to be random so each game develops differently. And this makes sense with it being an emergency crash. What seems to be developing here though is not just the different biomes with their constant climates, but varying temperatures throughout the year, like seasons. This could tie in with the weather effects and really make each biome and game unique! Yay for deeper replayability.

Concentrated lightning storms, blizzards, droughts, flooding maybe? I'm seeing it already, an alpha called "Seasons". I'm definitely with you when it comes to wanting more serious threats, besides increasing raids/types of raiders. The planet needs to be a formidable foe sometimes too!
Thank you Tynan for creating a game of my dreams. Let's all help make Rimworld the best it can be!

stefanstr

I imagine Tynan reading this and silently muttering to himself: "don't these people realize this requires a whole new system to be programmed? And AI adjustments? And graphic assets? And... and...". And then he will write it down in his great book of "ideas for RimWorld 2". :D

keylocke

+1 on this.

aside from "biomes" it would also be nice to have actual seasons.