Ruined by temperature eggs. What classification does it have?

Started by Yoshida Keiji, January 21, 2022, 05:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

So... I want to get rid off some ruined eggs. Normally I would move "rotten" corpses out of my storage by dis-selecting, typical scenario of some EMP blackout (forgot technical name) with prey not frozen. But this is new to me, because while I don`t allow rotten items in my storage, for some reason these eggs were still hauled to my freezer and is occupying one tile. I presume these are not healthy to be consumed so I want to throw them away, but I don`t know how.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2726499374

Canute

Since a few releases fertilized egg that became ruined by temp. will change into unfert. egg.
No extra class or rotten anymore for eggs.

glass zebra

Quote from: Canute on January 21, 2022, 05:39:35 AM
Since a few releases fertilized egg that became ruined by temp. will change into unfert. egg.
No extra class or rotten anymore for eggs.

They do not become "unfertilised eggs" by classification (as seen in the screenshot). Fertilised eggs that become ruined become fertilised eggs with the note "ruined by temperature". They are still classified as "fertilised eggs". My guess is that this is so the player understands what happend to their eggs, which turning them into unfertilised eggs would omit. This creates an opportunity to try to make the egg box safer, instead of just ignoring it and not understanding why you don't get bird babies.

They are still "fresh". You can cook them without a problem and for the most part they are indeed like fresh unfertilised eggs. Just not in their classification.

Yoshida Keiji

So basically I need to uncheck the listing:

*Foods/Raw Food/Animal products/Eggs fertilized ?

To make sure the fertilized eggs don't froze to death, right?

Canute

At the freezer, for sure ! Or the fert. egg's become ruined faster then you can react.
Better create a small stockpile for these only at some safe/warm spot.

But it looks there is no vanilla mechanic to split ruined and non-ruined fert. eggs or i am not aware of it.
I rarely played vanilla anyway, i allways got a mod that either convert ruined fert. egg's into unfert. ones (Animal Logic) or i saw another mod that add a ruined flag from egg's that help you to manage them.
Then you can use these ruined egg's to stored at the freezer and be used for food.

Vellaciraptor

My personal approach is to allow fertilised eggs in the cooking menus, but forbid the eggs themselves and leave them somewhere warm. If any accidentally get 'ruined by temperature', I just unforbid them and they get cooked. I do tend to micromanage though, so that approach probably wouldn't work for someone who doesn't spend a weird amount of time scanning the map for egg-related issues.

glass zebra

You can basically copy the food restrictions from the meal bills to filter what goes into your fridge, though veggies can survive without a freezer.

Managing those ruined eggs is always with micromanagement yes, but seeing how this is not a situation that should be happening often, this is okay I'd say. It's one of those "it would be better if the game did this another way, but it's understandable why I doesn't" situations. What Canute said is desirable, but I could already see the forum posts of people being confused by "why do my chickens never lay fertilised eggs".

Maybe a short message would be the best, like "haygrass have died from cold".