Wiki needs updating!

Started by HatesYourFace, August 13, 2014, 08:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spdskatr

Zesty U ruined mass again  >:(
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Spdskatr

Mass is back online. I have updated the Mass for most ThingDefs. I have also included a lazy workaround on the actual infobox/thing template. Damn that took me long.
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Pangaea

This looks like the best spot for wiki related discussion, despite the bump.  :)

I have uploaded a load of images recently, and have now been fiddling about with a frontpage redesign. A total redesign really, as I wanted to check out a darker skin. It's just kinda hell to convert everything, haha. So many tags, so many small details (like that pesky gradient on the logo, argh!). I'm doing it with a personal CSS file, so it won't show for anybody else, which is good since most things are broken right now. However, here is a image of the draft for the frontpage. I appreciate feedback, and whether I should just abort the whole thing.

Quote from: ZestyLemons on December 20, 2016, 11:53:37 PM
Added the stuff needed for the Define template mass. I figure it'll be a good idea to phase out the old Infobox main template at some point in favor of the Infobox/Thing template.

Touching on this, here are some thoughts about changes that I would also be interested in feedback about --> Thoughts about the future

In short, as touched upon above, it might be better witha darker skin, to reflect the UI in the game and its dark game world. The more I try to (and fail to) understand the templates, the more I want to redo the whole darn thing. There are issues with some of them currently, and it's really hard to understand how they all interact. Probably very easy to break something.

Finally, I'm also thinking about converting the wiki from using Semantic Mediawiki to Cargo. That stuff is certainly not a one-day job, I've done it before so I know, but I do think it would make it easier to deal with the data, and update it.

Anywho... no feedback yet on the topic over there, so I figured I could drop a note about it here and see what you think about this stuff.

Pangaea

Gosh, this is frustrating. Fix one CSS error, and several more pop up from various default css pages that I have no access to. Is it possible to add a Vector Dark skin in there? Might make it more bearable.

Would be nice if it was enabled to upload SVG files as well. I tried, but was told to get lost because it isn't allowed. Wanted to upload a image background checker that fits better for a dark wiki.

Kinda discouraging to get zero feedback either there or here though :-/

Pangaea

Hopefully getting there. Maybe?

A pain to try to line everything up. But I do like the new buttons up top.

As usual I'm stealing like a nasty pirate from the Witcher 3 wiki.

Tynan

I think it looks awesome, visually.

If it's fully as readable as the base version, could even become the default.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Pangaea

Quote from: Tynan on July 13, 2019, 11:25:14 AM
I think it looks awesome, visually.

If it's fully as readable as the base version, could even become the default.
Thanks, Tynan :)

It looks readable just fine to me, but if it's a problem it's possible to change the transparency of the background so the planet is less visible. That's the most common trick here.

Still lots of stuff to do, haven't touched wikitables yet, nor the SMW pages (but then I'd like to swap that out tbh), but a lot seems to work well right now. So many tiny details though, which takes time.

The logo looks a little wonky, and from what I can gather it's the picture itself that looks like that (or inverted). I'm guessing that would need to change in the backbones section, as I haven't been able to find it through Firefox development tools. The logo finally cropped up here: https://rimworldwiki.com/images/rw-logo2.png?ee248

LWM

Remember to make sure it's readable for someone with visibility issues (esp colorblindness)!

I personally think it looks v nice, but I know a lot of people who actually have more eye strain reading light text on dark background (weirdos <3).

If there were some preferred collaboration system, I suspect a lot of people here can do wonderful things with css, if you wanted to try working with others - which may be more trouble than its worth, but may be useful.

Thank you for giving the wiki love.

--LWM

Pangaea

Quote from: LWM on July 13, 2019, 04:36:48 PM
Remember to make sure it's readable for someone with visibility issues (esp colorblindness)!

I personally think it looks v nice, but I know a lot of people who actually have more eye strain reading light text on dark background (weirdos <3).

If there were some preferred collaboration system, I suspect a lot of people here can do wonderful things with css, if you wanted to try working with others - which may be more trouble than its worth, but may be useful.

Thank you for giving the wiki love.

--LWM
Thanks for the comments. I actually have colourblindness myself, but there are many variants of it so that's not a guarantee what I'm doing will be readable for everybody.

Collaboration would be nice. You're right that it can sometimes become conflict-ridden, but when it works out it's great. Right now I'm leaning on what I learned when re-doing the Pillars of Eternity wiki, and using stuff from that and other wikis (primarily Witcher 3 because it looks brilliant), and have imported a few extra templates too.

I'm far from a CSS expert, so am just borrowing stuff from elsewhere and trying to get it to look right with lots of trial and error. Currently the navbox is looking pretty wonky, despite looking perfectly fine with the same CSS on another wiki. Looks like it's some deep-lying skin file that's messing it up - again. This is what takes so much time. Make changes and see how it turns out on actual pages. Then try to dig around and find the correct tags that some default skinning page deeper in the wiki is using, then input those tags into the CSS file. Repeat. But I'm making slow progress, so there is that :)

Edit: Removed outdated and butt-ugly navbox image.

Once things are looking pretty decent everywhere, I can start to clean up the file. I'm sure there must be some duplicates here and there by now.

Pangaea

Have aimed at re-using some of the colours from the game, and tried with the link colours (after much and more struggles with overriding pesky skin files). Maybe links became too in-your-face now, but I wanted to try out non-orange.

Pangaea

Errr, the wiki is down? Is a pawn on the way to rescue it?  ;)

Looks like SMW might have been updated, and either something went wrong or something hasn't been done to complete the process?

Semantic MediaWiki was installed and enabled but is missing an appropriate upgrade key.

How Do I fix this error?

An administrator (or any person with administrator rights) has to run either MediaWiki's update.php or Semantic MediaWiki's setupStore.php maintenance script.

Pangaea

Technically I'm breaking a rule by making consecutive posts here, so sorry about that. Please don't turn me into a hat.

More work has gone into the CSS-side. Despite all the hours used, not a whole ton has changed, especially on the frontpage, but there are many details, and for the most part it works well to use this skin now. Most things are readable and easy to use. The WikiEditor needs some more love, and some other bits and pieces I haven't been able to find. Anyway, this is what it looks like currently on my side. Think the new link colours turned out okay, though I'm not entirely pleased about the design itself. Thankfully that part is easy to change now -- even if we go from the dynamic three-column design to a 2-column one.

Furthermore, I've started the work on new templates, and outlined some thoughts in the newly created Admin noticeboard.

What will become hard here is to make sure we have the variables we need for each thing (animals, plants, etc), and that they are sensibly defined (wikitext, integer, page, boolean, etc). Of course possible to change it later, but preferable to get most things right from the off. Here is a starting template, that still needs some work, not least in the actual output (roughly from the middle of the file and down).

I still hope that we can get more heads and hands on this, as it's probably too big a task for one chap alone -- and of course that we manage to cooperate well. I know from experience it can be tricky, and apparently has been on this one as well, but it's something to strive for at least.

So many ideas, so much to do, and it all takes time. New help section, new navboxes, new templates, new skin+frontpage, SMW to Cargo transition, cleaning up images and templates, unifying pages more. Gah!!  ;D

What have I sunk my feet into?  :-\

LWM

In terms of more people helping:  Where should people talk about stuff?  Is your css on github or some such (does more need to be done with it?)  Would you like discussion on the wiki itself?

--LWM

Pangaea

Quote from: LWM on July 16, 2019, 12:50:33 AM
In terms of more people helping:  Where should people talk about stuff?  Is your css on github or some such (does more need to be done with it?)  Would you like discussion on the wiki itself?

--LWM

I'm at work so must be brief. I think it would be best to carry out the interaction on the wiki itself. To that end, I wrote about the ideas and efforts over there initially. First some outlines here. Then some more concrete (maybe?) in the newly created Admin noticeboard. Please check out the posts and comment.

Perhaps a separate page would be more fitting, but I hoped one of these places would be easier to find (both SHOULD be in the sidebar). Back-and-forth communication is unfortunately an issue with working on wikis. It simply isn't well set up for stuff like that.

The CSS only resides in my user-CSS for now. But you can simply copy it to your own and work with it from there, if you wish to. Much seems to work as intended currently, but not everything. The preferences screen for instance it entirely white (just like the default), and I'm sure if one looks more thoroughly there will be many details still missing.

Kirby23590

My complaint for the Wiki is that some of the screenshots are kinda too large or to big.

And some of the articles for curtain stuff are stubs, and most of the backstories aren't there, for example i have a pawn with a childhood backstory that he's a Viotube Star and it doesn't appear in the wiki (Please tell me if this backstory is in vanilla.) though his adulthood backstory Gun dealer does appear.

And some are missing stuff like the Architect Security page is missing the Autocannon turret and the Uranium slug turret.

Also that new look you're planning for the official Wiki looks very awesome Pangaea... Randy would be proud from that. :D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.