ANY mod causes Rimworld 1.2 to crash upon startup

Started by Vylaina, January 22, 2021, 05:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vylaina

Hey all,

After almost a year away I just picked up Rimworld again (I play on Steam). My game updated itself to the latest version, however, no matter what I do, I cannot get it to work with any mods. At first I thought it might have been a specific mod that was causing the crash, but I've uninstalled/reinstalled the game a dozen times, and unsubscribed/subscribed to multiple combinations of mods, and it's the presence of ANY mod that does it. For instance, this time I have a fresh install, and I just subscribed to Prepare Carefully - that's it. I enable the mod, the game relaunches, the attached popup appears, then, the game crashes.
I've tried again and again; enabling any mod causes this. Any advice for me??

EDIT: I rolled back to version 1.0 and no problems, I can use any mod just fine. It's just 1.2. What could be causing that? The mods I tried before were all compatible with 1.2.

Canute

Hi,
between 1.0 and 1.2 is an unity engine upgrade, that mean's some older video card might not work with 1.2 anymore or would need a driver update.

Another thing could be you have leftover old version files.
Uninstall just delete the current version files but not any other files/folder they are left at the installation.
Just delete the rimworld installation folder by yourself and let steam repair/reinstall it.
If you like you can delete the Config folder at the saved data location (where the savegames are located) too.

The logfile (player.log) at the saved data location after you tried to start 1.2 could give more information.
And you didn't wrote if 1.2 without mods start fine.

Vylaina

Hey,
Thank you so much for responding! I'll try with the driver update and see if that works, and if not, try the other stuff.
Yes, I could get it to start fine without mods.

Canute

When you can start without mod's it can't be a driver issue.

You should start 1.2 without mods, enable developer mode at the options and open the log window with the top left icon that appear on top.
When you got any errors (red text) something is wrong with the installation and you should delete the installation and config folder.

When you got no error's just activate Prepare carefully and when it crash add the player.log to your answer (you need to use Reply button to see file attachment options).
If you don't know the location of the player.log, you should use the button at the options first to open it, before you activate the mod.