Screen flashes black, then comes back, then black again

Started by lapdogreturn, February 05, 2021, 03:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lapdogreturn

Ryzen 5 3600, B550M pro4, GEforce gtx 1050ti, Win10
All updated as far as I am aware, fresh install

Hi I've just changed over to a shiny new computer. I can't run rimworld properly as the screen is  intermittently flashing  black, after a few seconds it comes back and then goes black again. Seems to speed up.

This seems to only  happen when looking at the world map and in the game - so there isn't a flash on either the main menu or the first new game screen where you set your storyteller. The flashing starts on the first worldmap where you select a starting position and also when  the game itself is playing on the settlement map.

I have tried unsubscribing from all mods, deleting the mod folders, uninstalling rimworld and the associated folders and then reinstalling. No difference.

Help.

Alenerel

just to take the obvious out of the way, do you have installed updated drivers for the graphics card?

lapdogreturn

I have the latest drivers, just checked and to be sure re-installed the latest drivers as a fresh install. No change.
When the world map is generated I get around 4 seconds of normal screen, then black screen for three seconds, a second of normal, few more of black and that repeats. Odd.

I'm going to investigate monitor issues. I'll report back if I find anything, in the meantime if anyone has any  suggestions I'll have a look.

lapdogreturn

So far I've worked out that a) my monitor (Dell 2016Hv) was set to a resolution higher than it is supposed to work at (looked fine at 1600 x 900 but apparently 1440  x 900 is max). After setting a custom resolution (as that wasn't available) and scaling it to fit (using NVIDEA control panel) it looks a little rubbish but whatever. The flashing is however still there, maybe a bit slower. So no real progress.

I'm having to run it through an adapter to my card (Hdmi port in card, VGA on monitor as the monitor is older tech I guess). Maybe that is an issue but I can't think how to check or fix it if it is.

Canute

Maybe the adapter is broken, since it is a digital(HDMI)-analog(VGA) converter and not a simple rewire.
If you got another monitor, you should try them out.
And from the your monitor spec
Native Resolution
1600 x 900 at 60 Hz

Ark

Try FrameRateControl, 60Hz max. And as Canute said, your resolution should be 1600 x 900.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1591142767
https://github.com/notfood/RimWorld-FrameRateControl

lapdogreturn

Yeah you are correct about the display resolution. Checked on my old pc and it was 1600 x 900.

Tried the mod you suggested - that worked well on the world generation page but then the flashing came back once I opened a game. I can get hold of another monitor mid week so I will try that. Rather frustrating. I think it is the monitor end ... somehow. Started to get the flash outside of games now much less frequently and briefer,  and I tried medieval total war 2 and got the same problem. So something is up at a more base level than just rimworld.

Ark

It's propably the HDMI-VGA adaptor dongle, then. If you can, plug the adaptor directly to the monitor and use an HDMI cable between dongle and pc.
Failing backlight power supply in the monitor can do something similar. I know mine goes black for a couple of seconds randomly if the brightness is less than 20%. It's also heat sensitive, works perfectly at 0% until it gets warm.

lapdogreturn

Sounds like a good plan - can't at the moment as the dongle's hdmi cable is short, so to run it direct into the monitor I will have to get a male > female hdmi or similar. I did manage to hook the cable into my tv's VGA port and it seemed stable. Also been having patches where sometimes the game is fine for ten minutes before fritzing off again (this is super inconsistent though).

I will have a play with the monitor settings.

I seem to attract intermittent problems like a magnet. 

lapdogreturn

Without altering anything I tried running Doom -  it worked fine, zero issues. so, maybe the cable is fine ?

Ark

Perhaps. With just a VGA input, your monitor is badly obsoleted. I wouldn't put much effort in resuscitating it.
2560 x 1440 monitors at 30"+ are affordable and are going to blow your mind if you're used to 20".

Personal opinion: TN panels suck, get an IPS. 4K+ is pointless (warranty has expired on my eyeballs) unless it's 40"-ish, and at that point viewing angles get so acute that the backlight may fail to illuminate the borders, and reflections become an issue. MicroLED technology is just around the corner (5 years maybe?), and shouldn't suffer from the OLED burn-in issue.

lapdogreturn

"Go shopping" was pretty much on my mind . Not sure I can be chewed troubleshooting a weirdo intermittent issue yet again. Plus as you say, new shiny monitor will be nice. I'll take your advice on board. :) 

lapdogreturn

Ok, so for anyone trying to fix this issue themselves; Not fixed yet.

I've tested the monitor on an old computer - no problem. So not the monitor or lead?
Stuck the graphics card in old computer with monitor. Immediate problem.
So graphics card perhaps? But it runs more graphically intensive things no bother.

So some weirdo interaction.

I dropped the monitors frequency to 59 - the problem remains but less frequently. I'm going to explore this angle. Currently at 1600 x 900 59hz .

I'm thinking there is 'something' about this game (and other applications too - happens randomly when surfing the internet etc) that is causing the monitor to lose signal, and that is due to this graphics card ... sending too much info maybe? Happens when paused too though. So it isn't the intensity of the task.

Canute

I am not an expert, so i just could guess.
Maybe it is the combination, videocard, HDMI,converter,VGA.
Or the converter is overloaded with the resolution.
It could be that some things don't get converted correct or missing, or that the videocard don't give the proper informations over HDMI.
If you look at the monitor's from the last years, you won't find many with HDMI input anymore.
Most of them use DVI or Displayport.
I wouldn't made much thoughs anymore, buy a cheap non 4k monitor and your problems are solved.

lapdogreturn

Fixed ?

You are probably about right.

I've went into 3d settings and set the power management to "prefer maximum performance" settings in both general and steam. So far, so good. played about an hour with no problems. Gives me some extra time to read up on monitors as this fix feels a bit bodgy. New monitor, but don't have to panic buy.