Help: Loss of Eating Ability

Started by DeltaV, August 13, 2014, 03:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaV

So, in an unfortunate accident stemming from a besieger with an M-24, one of my colonists has ended up with his stomach completely destroyed. The health menu thus very rightly states that he is unable to eat. I assume this meant he was going to die of starvation immediately, but one of my colonists was able to feed him some potatoes while he was "recovering" in the hospital.

The worry is, he's now recovered from incapacitation and is walking around and such. I'm worried that now that it's not anybody's job to feed him, he won't be able to eat on his own and he'll die of starvation. I'm not going to just kill him because he was one of the starting colonists and I've got an emotional attachment to him after we rescued him at one health point.

So, then, my question is: is there any way to force the colonist to stay in the hospital as a patient? I can't jail him, because once they recover the prisoners are expected to eat their own meals.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

HatesYourFace

Quote from: DeltaV on August 13, 2014, 03:19:05 PM
So, in an unfortunate accident stemming from a besieger with an M-24, one of my colonists has ended up with his stomach completely destroyed. The health menu thus very rightly states that he is unable to eat. I assume this meant he was going to die of starvation immediately, but one of my colonists was able to feed him some potatoes while he was "recovering" in the hospital.

The worry is, he's now recovered from incapacitation and is walking around and such. I'm worried that now that it's not anybody's job to feed him, he won't be able to eat on his own and he'll die of starvation. I'm not going to just kill him because he was one of the starting colonists and I've got an emotional attachment to him after we rescued him at one health point.

So, then, my question is: is there any way to force the colonist to stay in the hospital as a patient? I can't jail him, because once they recover the prisoners are expected to eat their own meals.

Only idea I've got for you is to put him in a Cryosleep pod until you can figure something out. That, or beat him and jail him every time he needs to eat lol? Idk...you might just have to put him out of his misery. Although when he starves it'll either make him break or he'll fall unconscious, either way you can arrest him/rescue him and feed him? Let us know how it goes, I'm interested in this stomach-less man's fate! Lol.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

DeltaV

The situation has resolved itself: It appears that even thought the health screen says he is completely unable to eat, he can, it just takes ~2.5x longer than it does for everyone else to eat.

On another note, apparently having your stomach shredded into nonexistence by a sniper bullet only makes you 'slightly impaired'. I have colonists who have scars on their hands and are considered 'slightly impaired'.

This poor colonist has been the subject of by far the most abuse out of any of them, because as the only one of my starting colonists with much shooting ability he was the first line of defense. He ended up shot in the eye (resulting in a scar and minor pain for his entire life on the colony), shot in the arm, shot in the leg, and shot in both lungs on various occasions, and every time he managed to completely recover. It's nice to see that even the lack of a major internal organ can't keep him down.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

HatesYourFace

Quote from: DeltaV on August 13, 2014, 03:25:13 PM
The situation has resolved itself: It appears that even thought the health screen says he is completely unable to eat, he can, it just takes ~2.5x longer than it does for everyone else to eat.

On another note, apparently having your stomach shredded into nonexistence by a sniper bullet only makes you 'slightly impaired'. I have colonists who have scars on their hands and are considered 'slightly impaired'.

Well...I suppose he could take food intravenously? Like a thinner Nutrient paste? Lol. Still, funny story.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

ison

Indeed in A6 release colonists with 0% eating ability can still eat pretty fast. We're thinking on how to handle it properly in A7. Probably unfortunate colonists with damaged stomach/jaw will be capable of eating only nutrient paste and with highly reduced eating speed. However, there will be a new way of healing injured people added in next Alpha release - it will be possible to perform surgeries on colonists or prisoners. This will include removing inner body parts, replacing old ones or installing brand-new artificial parts like bionic eye with increased stats.

HatesYourFace

Quote from: ison on August 13, 2014, 04:00:59 PM
Indeed in A6 release colonists with 0% eating ability can still eat pretty fast. We're thinking on how to handle it properly in A7. Probably unfortunate colonists with damaged stomach/jaw will be capable of eating only nutrient paste and with highly reduced eating speed. However, there will be a new way of healing injured people added in next Alpha release - it will be possible to perform surgeries on colonists or prisoners. This will include removing inner body parts, replacing old ones or installing brand-new artificial parts like bionic eye with increased stats.

Bionic arms and such? Friggin' love it.

Rahjital

Yeah, organ damage is nothing to worry about in the current Alpha, getting the pinky finger shot off is much more serious than getting shot in the spine :p

It's interesting to see that even completely destroyed stomach is not a problem and is just 'minorly impaired'. I haven't yet got my hands on the public release version, but last time I looked, having a scar on a finger was enough to consider the colonist 'seriously impaired'.

As for healing, as long as it's not the eye or brain that took the damage, you don't even need to use medkits. Scarring is extremely rare and doctors can stop bloodloss without them, which is all that they need to do to save the colonist.

DeltaV

I had figured that part of the medical stuff was implied to be 'surgery', because they suture things like kidneys and lungs that you couldn't get to without cutting someone open.

Splinterbee

any time he gets incapacitated just have him go to the medical room and they'll feed him.
one time a bandit came with a pistol and I was like PAH! tis but a pistol and then he shot 2 of my colonists in the face and they died instantly I:
Video games, are pretty good

StorymasterQ

Quote from: HatesYourFace on August 13, 2014, 04:05:54 PM

Bionic arms and such? Friggin' love it.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology."
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

putsam

How about bringing a colonist back to life with a ai core for a brain Bring there researching to maximum