Serious difficulty? No idea what to do.

Started by Thorval, August 14, 2014, 08:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorval

So Every game I play ends with a huge raid of mechanoids who snipe my colonists far beyond the range of my weapons. Every game, without fail.

One time I got them early on, and it was just two of them, with the normal difficulty and they wiped my colony out. Again.

Got pretty far in one game built parts of the ship, waiting for the AI core, could regularly fight off literally 20-30 attacking colonists with turrets, had a bunch of EMP mortars set up far in the back in the event of a mechanoid attack. So... about 15 mechanoids attack, stick all my colonists to EMP mortars and start firing. NOT ONE MORTAR HIT ITS MARK. I've noticed this with regular mortars. the map is covered with enemies but I've yet to see one go down from mortar fire. I was running seven of these things at once. Nope, all fine. Stationary mechanoids just lining up shots with mortar rounds landing 8 or 9 squares away from startling a trembling fawn. What the hell am I supposed to do to counter these god damn mechs??

HatesYourFace

Agreed Mortars should fire a little faster (Maybe 30 secs instead of 45?) That or be just a touch more accurate. I've had like 10 mortars set up firing on a pack of prolly 50-60 pirates that were just standing in a huge blob "readying for an assault" Didn't hit a single one by the time they finally decided to attack, which was long enough for 3 or 4 volleys maybe? So that's what...30-40 shells fired at stationary targets? Doesn't seem right to me. Most colonists I've ever had is like 20ish so that's half my colonists manning Mortars, and then they aren't able to fight when the pirates get to the base because they've got to eat/sleep from being on Mortar duty all day. Hardly seems worth it atm.

As far as Mechanoids the generally accepted strategy is to lure the Scythers into turret fire then kite the Centipedes with sniper fire, but it isn't applicable to every situation. Scythers do have some ridiculous range, and 100% accuracy to boot I think, but they go down fast to concentrated fire. Centipedes move slow and take forever to aim their weapons, take advantage of this by moving whatever colonist they are targeting deeper into cover and out of LOS when they are just about to shoot, forcing them to pick another target and re aim.

Best of luck!
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com