What am I missing about Charge Lances?

Started by Cassey, February 15, 2021, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassey

I keep wanting to love charge lances, but they are disappointing me.  Per the wiki, they have slightly less range than an assault rifle, and much less DPS.

I find myself wondering why I don't use more bolt action rifles as well??  DPS is about 10% below a charge lance, but range (second only to the sniper rifle) is 20% greater and its almost twice as quick to fire.  Plus its super cheap and quick to make.

I'm well past mid-game, currently upgrading to marine armor, and fabricating all the components and advanced components I need to make virtually anything.

So basically, what makes charge lances so great?

Canute

Who said they are great ? :-)
The only advance of them are the hugh damage/shoot which can destroy limbs/head with one shoot.
But the accuraty are so bad at long range that they arn't a big threat.
Try it out yourself. Enable developer mode at the options that allow you to spawn pawn,weapons and appareal.
Spawn a pawn,recruit him, set the skill at 10/15/20 spawn a weapon/armor let him equip the stuff.
Safe the game.
Spawn a Lancer at some range and let him duel the pawn.

Alenerel

technically the charge rifle and lance should be better against armored targets since htey have more armor penetration... but in practice idk how much difference there is.

on top of that the charge lance is very ugly... they could have made a different charge lance for the player that looks like a rifle or something like that

Cassey

Why I assumed "great":  late game weapon that takes significant research and a long time to build.  Presumably that is worth something.

Just checked some stats on a "good" Assault Rifle, a "good" Charge Lance, and a "good" bolt action:

Assault Rifle:    Armor Pen:  16%, Accuracy: 66%, 77%, 72%, 60% (close, short, medium, long), Range 31, Damage 11, stopping power 0.5, cooldown 1.7 sec
Charge Lance:  Armor Pen:  45%, Accuracy: 72%, 94%, 94%, 73%, Range 30, Damage 30, stopping power 1.5, cooldown 2.7 sec
Bolt Action:      Armor Pen:  27%, Accuracy: 72%, 88%, 99%, 88%, Range 37, Damage 18, stopping power 1.5, cooldown 1.5 sec

Of course, the AR gets off 3 shots per round, so about 106 rpm (stats claim 360 which I don't understand), 19.4 DPS if every shot hit an unarmored opponent
                     CL gets off 1 shot per round, so about 22 rpm, 11 DPS
                     BA gets off 1 short per round, so 40 rpm, 12 DPS

So... I guess that puts the bolt action a lot close to the charge lance than I thought, with the charge lance having much better armor penetration and similar accuracy (depending on range).  The AR clearly wins for mowing down unarmored attackers if I'm following that stats right.

Alenerel

the problem is the armor thing... there is a chance to deflect the bullet if the armor penetration is not good enough, on top of that there 200% armor means 100% absorption for some reason...

It would be interesting to have a DPs comparison when hitting armored targets like centipedes