how to not die and reach the end goal

Started by Bigdestyn, February 15, 2021, 09:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdestyn

most of the colonies i make go to shit, for no reason or either cause a bunch of gun wielding pirate retards walk in.

legendary

You miss the point of a game. It is normal to die, suffer, joy, build, craft, fight and die again. It's a story, the goal is to live it, not to "win". It's the journey that matters. Stop the game, sit and think about it from another angle. Rimworld is not the usual game. It is different.
StarCraft | WarZone 2100 | Civilization | RimWorld | Homeworld - games that deserve your time of life.

Canute

Search and read the General discussion about gameplay tips.
Or watch some gameplay video's to get an idea how other people play.

Mosttimes there are many way how to play the game, but it is allways an bad idea to start a gunfire against a raid at open plains.

Alenerel

For merciless I found a more or less sweet spot... I build a killbox where the entrance matches exactly with the range of the psycast skip. have an opening of 1 tile where I bunch up 3 melee dudes and behind them all the shooters. Check these bases of mine (lowkey showcase):
https://imgur.com/a/leFjAL3

I was experimenting with downsizing the killbox in these, but I returned to use 8 mini turrets and 8 big turrets cause it was painful. The plasteel wall reinforcements are important because otherwise the walls will get shredded. Its important that the mini turrets are plasteel or uranium to not get burned.

My current iteration, the range is for skip (ignore the frag grenades, I was doing other stuff):
https://i.snipboard.io/XmM58D.jpg

Usually the problems came with the centipedes, so this is why I chose it this way, to skip immediately all inferno cannon centipedes in front of the melee dudes and get rekt. I also make a side gate so that someone with EMP grenades can throw them and hide.

There are also the sappers and raiders with shield packs. For sappers, the design of the base is more important and mine isnt good for that, I usually had more problems with sappers than with full centipede raids... For raiders with shield packs I think with EMP launcher should be enough behind my shooters.

Another tip is to always be neutral or ally with the advanced factions (imperium, purple and blue) and be enemy with the tribes (yellow, green), so that when you get a raid, there is more chance of getting raided by tribals than by pirates. Tribals are much easier to manage. For me the most difficult are the pirates due to their goddamn rocket launchers.

Alenerel

I keep experimenting and reached these conclusions:
- Tried to not min-max quality of weapons, instead of all legendary/masterwork assault rifles/miniguns, just get one masterwork minigun and a mix of assault rifles/charge lances/charge rifles. The result was not good, so I will try to get a tortured artist crafter and word of inspiration. Mostly the same for melee dudes, normal/good zeus hammers werent good enough. Probably this can work if you put more turrets than me, but I dont like more turrets.
- Tried to not use EMP grenades in favor of the EMP launcher for the killbox: not good either. The range is just too small and in my killbox it has very low coverage.
- Tried to not get cataphract armor for my melee dudes to save time and resources: Mixed results. Its doable but not while lowering all of the above. In a previous play worked pretty well with legendary guns, but not this one.

For some reason this playthrough most of enemies that fleed through my killbox all went through the doors and destroyed them every time, which didnt happen last time... I also want to try to put my psycaster in a side door so he can skip centipedes that are farther away, so I can make the killbox longer.

I still have problem with sappers, specially the pirates. Im experimenting with building horizontal walls of 5 tiles, 2 tiles away from the doors, so enemies dont have clear shoots from afar. Basically a minikillbox.

All of this is for cassandra merciless, ofc lesser difficulties will need less minmaxing.

mattamazingballz

I also use the killbox method but what I'll usually do is bore into the side of a mountain so that it forces everyone into it if they want to reach me. Single file line into a bunch of large turret fire. I'll make sure that I have everything I need inside too, such as biofuel powering hydroponic gardens to make more biofuel from.

I've found only 2 issues with this...
1. You still have to take out sieges with your soldiers.
2. Sometimes they still try to mine their way in if you're not in deep enough.

Hilvon1984

Maybe you should lower the difficulty?

Or turn your own colonists into a bunch of gun-wielding retards and show those pirates who's the boss