Storyteller broken likely due to modlist changes mid-game

Started by CrackerJack.beta, February 17, 2021, 04:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackerJack.beta

I've tried deleting my <queuedIncidents> in my save file, but that doesn't seem to work. Whenever I start my game, I get a spammed error that I think has something to do with the storyteller. And to boot, the "Do incident (Map)..." developer tool doesn't work, so I can't even be my own bootleg storyteller. https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/5ab88ca803f8dc5aa4c2aae8a696a52f
These two errors repeat themselves:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Verse.TickManager.DoSingleTick () [0x000a1] in <6326ac03f61f45efb3178f3bfd084139>:0
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RimWorld.IncidentWorker.CanFireNow (RimWorld.IncidentParms parms, System.Boolean forced) [0x00107] in <6326ac03f61f45efb3178f3bfd084139>:0
  at VFEMech.VFEMWorldComponent.WorldComponentTick () [0x000c6] in <44213760015947d08023f5c6df0dae9c>:0
  at RimWorld.Planet.WorldComponentUtility.WorldComponentTick (RimWorld.Planet.World world) [0x00013] in <6326ac03f61f45efb3178f3bfd084139>:0
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

I'm a new player getting back into the game and I've already spent a lot of time on this save file, any way to salvage the storyteller would be nice. I've searched and googled but nothing has worked, I wish there were some magical 'restart storyteller' button.

Canute

Hi,
the storyteller isn't the problem. It is more a component of a mod "VFEMech.VFEMWorldComponent.WorldComponentTick".
But i can't say what it is wrong.

You should try to ask the devs of VFE about help.

And maybe move
Vanilla Furniture Expanded(VanillaExpanded.VFECore)
before the other VFE mods, since it is a Core mod.

And before you start a colony, you should be sure not to have error at the log. Mod's that give out error don't work correct anyway.

CrackerJack.beta

I restructured the mod list, but it hasn't fixed my issue. When making a new colony events still occur and the "Do incident" tool works. The same two errors still occur when loading the original save. I didn't mean that the storyteller was breaking the game, I meant that the game was breaking the storyteller as I get no new events or raids despite deleting the contents of my <queuedIncidents> in my save file and switching storytellers. I'm going to contact the developer of Vanilla Factions Expanded - Mechanoids and submit a bug report there, I'll post again here once that has been concluded.

Canute

It could be that pawn/items don't appear at low colony wealth like at the colony start, then you don't get these error at the beginning.
Such problems are hard to track down.

CrackerJack.beta

If it was just that then I would have other events happen or would be able to use the developer tool to force events. I've been playing ~34 hours and have a colony wealth of 304533 at the time of writing. Hopefully the dev can think of a way to fix this.

Canute

Some hints for the future (damn i realy need to made a sticky with that):
Be sure you have no error's after activate some mods/Rimworld startup.
Since it is hard to say what mod cause the error, you maybe should activate them at small batches.
Be sure you don't miss a required mod, and put them at the right load order (mosttimes the mod sort button can solve it).

Better don't use mod's that throw out error's some of the function don't work correct either.
But each error basicly increase the chance that you could encounter a critical error that prevent you from playing. And fixing these error at a gameplay is mosttimes impossible for the player.
Disabling mod's for an ongoing colony is a bad thing for the most mods.

CrackerJack.beta

Well, ended up making another save to fix the issue. I figured it was time to move on from that colony anyway. Many thanks for your effort.